Help with fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. There was no movement at all, definitely toasted :).

Almost everyone I asked has given an ID of either a lizard fish or a snake eel. I myself are leaning towards lizard fish. Incidentally, we also spotted snake eel at the same area (see picture below). But that snake eel is quite easy to identified with the two skin flaps just above the mouth. However, the second picture Rick attached in his post clearly shows that some snake eels do not have that flaps.

??

Cheers! I think it's wonderful that you live in an area with such diversity and critter interaction. I look forward to your future pictures.

X

But that snake eel is quite easy to identified with the two skin flaps just above the mouth. However, the second picture Rick attached in his post clearly shows that some snake eels do not have that flaps.

Not all snake eel have the two "skin flaps" - I think we might be looking at some kind of Brachysomophis snake eel.

And the fish he is eating?

Some kind of flathead... Probably Thysanophrys sp. ? The pectorals are way too small for it to be a flying gurnard, imho.

Back
Top Bottom