Help with equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Rebecca. Welcome to to the happy fun house!

rjoachi:
...our LDS only sells Seaquest and ScubaPro - not a big deal, but not what people mostly talk about on these boards.
Don't let that bother you too much. There are lots of different opinions flying around here, and just because one particular brand isn't fashionable at the moment doesn't mean it's bad gear. Scubapro and Seaquest both make good gear. The Scubapro MK2/R190 is a good entry level reg roughly equivalent to the other regs you mentioned. The Seaquest Balance and Diva are both good recreational BCs.
rjoachi:
What are the differences between the Mares M12 Rebel, Aeris A1, and the Zeagle ZX50D? Our instructor told us that if we were going to buy a regulator we should buy a high end one and then proceeded to regale us with horror stories about having air in the tank but not being able to get it from the regulator. Are these regulators all pretty good?
Yes, they're all fine. They're all good entry level regs. Of the three, I'd take the Zeagle.
rjoachi:
How comfortable is the Zeagle Brigade for a woman?
That's up to you. Comfort is very subjective. I'd suggest trying on lots of different models before choosing one.
rjoachi:
My father (who took the classes with us) thinks that the zeagle warrenty is the beat all and end all as warrenties go. Are the other companies just as good?
It's true that Zeagle is known to have a good warranty and good customer service. But so does Scubapro and several other companies. I've had good luck with Aeris. Mares doesn't have a reputation for being as customer friendly, but of the three regs you mentioned, it's the one you'd most likely be able to drag into any out of the way shop in the Bahamas and get parts and service for it.
rjoachi:
And finally, can you direct me to some websites that sell seaquest or scubapro so I know I'm not getting boned by my LDS
I don't think either of those companies allows retailers to sell directly on the internet. You can probably find both brands on a site like Leisurepro.com at prices much cheaper than your LDS, but you won't be getting the manufacturers warranty if you buy from someplace other than an authorized dealer, and that's a bad thing. Scubatoys is authorized to sell the brands they carry, and I've had good luck with them.

Hope this helps. :)
___

i use mainly aqua lung, seaquest & apex. you need to decide if you back or vest inflation BC. Most new diver get vest BC because they have never used a back inflation. Maybe rent a back inflation before you decide. also look at what a shop carries in rental. that brand hold up pretty well. most places near me have the titan (aqua lung) in rental. and that is a good reg, but i'd take get an titan lx instead.
Mel

Back
Top Bottom