Help with equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjoachi

Reaction score
My husband and I just got open water certified. We had thought that we would only go scuba diving (recreationally) 2-3 times a year until we took the class. Wouldn't you know, we already have 3 weekend trips planned for next year and that is just until march. Since we are going to scuba dive much more than we planned, we figured it was time to buy equipment. Unfortunately, our LDS only sells Seaquest and ScubaPro - not a big deal, but not what people mostly talk about on these boards. I saw some good package deals on scubatoys and was wondering what everyone thought about them.

What are the differences between the Mares M12 Rebel, Aeris A1, and the Zeagle ZX50D? Our instructor told us that if we were going to buy a regulator we should buy a high end one and then proceeded to regale us with horror stories about having air in the tank but not being able to get it from the regulator. Are these regulators all pretty good?

How comfortable is the Zeagle Brigade for a woman?

My father (who took the classes with us) thinks that the zeagle warrenty is the beat all and end all as warrenties go. Are the other companies just as good?

And finally, can you direct me to some websites that sell seaquest or scubapro so I know I'm not getting boned by my LDS (I was a little wary after I bought a $250 4/3 wetsuit, but everywhere I read said you should by your first wetsuit from your LDS so you get the sizing right).

Thanks so much (and sorry so long, but I feel very confused)

REBECCA

Rebecca,
First of all, a hearty welcome to the ScubaBoard.
May all of your dives be safe . . . and all your ascents even safer!

You can't go wrong with dealing with ScubaToys.

ScubaToys' service, sales and after sales support are irreproachable an without equal.

the K

rjoachi:
Our instructor told us that if we were going to buy a regulator we should buy a high end one and then proceeded to regale us with horror stories about having air in the tank but not being able to get it from the regulator. Are these regulators all pretty good?

REBECCA

If I were you, I'd immediately walk out the door of that shop and find another one that doesn't use the classic "inexpensive regs will kill you" line. What a load....using fear to sell new divers high performance regs.

One of the safest regs ever built, based on years and years of proven reliability, is the lowly scubapro MK2 R190. Another is the old U.S. Divers/aqualung conshelf. Neither of these are high performance regs by today's standards, but either will provide you with plenty of air in all but the most demanding situations, (situations which you will almost certainly NEVER encounter) and failure is VERY rare.

Great idea to buy your own reg, and the truth is that any decent quality reg made by a reputable company will work just fine for recreational diving. Just don't listen to the sales tactic based on fear. The best high end regs do breathe very easily and smoothly, but the difference between them and well maintained lower end regs at recreational depth and temps is very subtle to new divers, and they are not any safer or more reliable.

Welcome to the Board and the diving community.

Can't go wrong with www.scubatoys.com. Just give them a call, or drop by. I believe they are located in Carollton, Texas. It may be better to go on a field trip to buy your gear if you are unsure of size and fit.

Im sure the "horror stories" your LDS was telling you was gear that he/she doesn't carry.

As for more websites: www.leisurepro.com and www.scuba.com. Beware though when compairing prices, LDS usally carry full manufactures warranties, while "net" shops may not. No warranty usally equals a lower price.

With that being said, try to support your LDS when possible. Without them we would have trouble getting our gear serviced and the education they provide.

In theory the lower performing regulator would be safer for a new diver. You have less moving parts, and as the tank gets low on air the regulator gets harder to breathe from (never to the point of not giving air or failure). New divers forget to monitor their air so this resistance helps to warn the new diver that their low on air. The high performing regulators breathe the same no matter how deep or how much air is in the tank. The last breath is just as easy as the first, so be weary and monitor that air!

I would go with Scubapro if your shop doesn't "hose" you on everything else, and ask for a 10% discount on the Scubapro stuff. Scubatoys is the best online store ever...Larry's advise will steer you in the right direction. Welcome!

rjoachi:
?

And finally, can you direct me to some websites that sell seaquest or scubapro so I know I'm not getting boned by my LDS (I was a little wary after I bought a $250 4/3 wetsuit, but everywhere I read said you should by your first wetsuit from your LDS so you get the sizing right).

REBECCA
If you buy seaquest or scubapro online you'll get boned as it doesn't have a factory warranty with it. The most a diveshop can discount on those two lines is 10%.

rjoachi:
How comfortable is the Zeagle Brigade for a woman?

My father (who took the classes with us) thinks that the zeagle warrenty is the beat all and end all as warrenties go. Are the other companies just as good?

REBECCA

I'm not a female diver, but I play one on TV:D Actually, I spoke with a couple of Female divers who swear by the Zeagle Zena for women. Customizeable fit, and back inflate. Also, cute colors available in front (Not all DIR black). Also, the Zeagle gear is made in Florida, so to me that's a big plus.

I'll 3rd and fourth ScubaToys.com. They have a huge variety and inventory. They are really great, and the 10% discount for Scubaboard members is a great enticement. Shipping is lightning fast and reasonable, and the knowledge of equipment and divers is remarkable.

However, I also have to give a nod to DiveSports in Alabama (http://www.divesports.com). They are an authorized dealer for the brands they carry (They don't have Scubapro, though). Their prices are extremely competitive (they will price-match), and the owner (PhilEllis) is an SB member as well as having great customer service skills. Also, they have monthly give-aways, a "brick and mortar" shop, and trips for their local clients. The only downside I've found is that their shipping is not quite as reasonable as ScubaToys. Must be a volume thing.

Any name brand gear will suit you for rec diving. The key is to be able to keep it maintained and fit comfortably.

Happy diving and welcome to the Board!

mattboy:
If I were you, I'd immediately walk out the door of that shop and find another one that doesn't use the classic "inexpensive regs will kill you" line. What a load....using fear to sell new divers high performance regs.
Cfdsmokeater:
Im sure the "horror stories" your LDS was telling you was gear that he/she doesn't carry.

rjoachi:
Our instructor told us that if we were going to buy a regulator we should buy a high end one and then proceeded to regale us with horror stories about having air in the tank but not being able to get it from the regulator.

Boy, you guys are quick to beat up on the LDS. Notice an instructor made those comments.

Be careful associating what gear advice an instructor gives with the gear advice you would get in the actual store from a sales person. Quite often a shop's instructors are not versed in the store's sales philosophy or aren't as knowledgeable about the specs and differences in equipment.

Give Phil at Dive Sports (http://www.divesports.com) a call. That's where I have bought all my gear. Phil is a great guy to talk with. As people above have mention, unless you plan on going cold and deep, the "lower end" regs will suite your needs. Check out what other local divers use. Also try renting from several LDS's in your area to get a feel for the regs they rent.

Cfdsmokeater:
With that being said, try to support your LDS when possible. Without them we would have trouble getting our gear serviced and the education they provide.

Ski, I don't think I was "beating up" on anyone. With my experience with several LDSs over the years, the attitude remains that if they don't sell it, its not worth purchasing. Now that is my opinion, friends opinion, families opinion (not to mention other board members obviously) with three non affiliated LDS. One has went out of bussines. Nor did I say to disreguard what the INSTRUCTOR said either, just keep in mind the LDS is out to sell the gear the have, its just what is in their best intrest which I can understand that.

As for the INSTRUCTOR, I bet he/she is not a freelancer and is affiliated with a LDS. Been looking into different agenices for my father(assistant) and family friend(Instructor) to start there own LDS, because of the affiliation one must have with a LDS before they can cetify students. From my experience, owners want their instructors to dive/sale the stores gear. Dad just went to his LDS staff meeting, and that was the jist of the meeting.

As for the sales person, be careful with their advice as well. They may not be versed in the "store's sales philosophy or aren't as knowledgeable about the specs and differences in equipment." Make sure you are talking to an actual diver, and not the owner's brother-in-laws teenage kid who is watching the store while everybody is out on a dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom