help with doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

72's are definetly a good call if you want to get into doubles cheap. I have my big fat lp108 doubles, and they were such a bear I decided to get some lighters doubles for shore or if I'm only doing a single deep dive that day. I paid $50 a piece for a pair of galvanized tanks that needed hyrdo, I had just upgraded my manifold on the 108's to a brand new DiveRite that I got for $140, and put the older OMS manifold on the 72's. I got a set of high quality bands for $100, and I had 2 sets of doubles. So figuring $20 for hydro's and even at $140 for the DiveRite manifold, my 72's cost me $380. Al80's are another great way to go if you want to keep things affordable.

I am looking to purchase a set of doubles. I need all equipment needed ie. bands whatever else. About how much should it cost minus tanks.

Hi snorkl -

Restricting the discussion to just equipment: I wanted to get into doubles on the cheap, I wanted to assemble them myself, and I don't mind working with used gear. That said, "all equipment needed" for me broke down as follows:

cylinders: used steel 72s (from LDS); $99/each (in hydro)
manifold: used OMS 200 bar (off this board); $95
bands: new highland bands (couldn't find 'em used in this size); $110

So that's not bad! Roughly $400 for the kit, and I definitely enjoyed the project of sussing out the parts and doing the assembly. I probably could have found yet cheaper deals, but I didn't always have the patience.

Unfortunately, as others have warned, your job isn't over when you've got your cylinders twinned. I'm guessing "all equipment needed" refers to regs and buoyancy compensation as well. I was already diving singles with a backplate and wings, so I still needed an additional first stage to convert my singles regs over to doubles regs, and I needed a doubles wing. True to form, I bought both used. But keep in mind that this will represent an additional expense beyond the doubles kit itself.

I agree with other posts that some mentoring or instruction would be very beneficial to this project! I'd also add, should you assemble your kit yourself, that "Dressed for Success" was helpful to me. DIR or no, the section on assembling doubles is clear and well illustrated.

Best,
Steve

112 low pressure will give lots of down time and for a little more you can separate them by installing a bolt and have some excellant singles for scalloping or lobstering.

Back
Top Bottom