Help with dive spots in western Caribbean - Carnival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never used Carnivals tours, always go with locals.
Get AOW before diving Cozumel, then go with Aldora or a girl called Alison? Make sure and tell them what your experience level is. If the port is closed, get over to the East Side, there's a funky little beach bar about every 5 miles for a total of 3 or 4 all together and that's all there is over there, just beautiful water, big beaches and excellent place to take pics. Don't swim anywhere, bad riptides but take snorlke gear if you want there's a protected area to snorkle at one of the beach bars, it,s the one just before Coconuts. Do stop at Coconuts, it's on a cliff over looking the water, get fish tacos, and check out the family picture albums.
If you don't dive in Grand Cayman go to Rum Point with snorkle gear. It is a beautiful beach/water with restaurant/bar/shade or sun. There is a pier with lots of stingrays, be careful these aren't the ones at Stingray point. The water is shallow for a long ways out. If you are a decent swimmer, ask one of the people that work there but I think it's in the North direction, you swim hard parallel into the current and out about 100 yds past the pier. The water gets a little deep then gets shallow where there's alot of coral, now just ride the current, it runs parallel to the beach, lots of lobster, coral and fish, then it's easy swim back to the beach.
For Belize see my post in "Carinival Cruiser, which operator in Belize". Also, the long trip to the outer atolls is supposed to be awesome as well as the jungle/river tours. We once spent the day on "Goffs CaY"?, a beautiful 50 yard long island of sand, a few palms, a small concession they set up while you're there. Supposed to be some snorkling but was stirred up the day we were there, but good for pics.
Roatan, hear alot about Anthonys Key, also Cocoview but don't know if you have time to get there and back. We spent a day at Tabyana Beach? and had a great time snorkling, shade and sun, concessions, or stop get your own styrofoam ice chest and fill it up for the day.

My wife and I are taking a Carnival Cruise to the Western Caribbean at the end of this September. The cruise involves 4 ports and I'd like to choose 2 to dive.
These are the list of ports in order of arrival and my thoughts about each:

Cozumel: Everyone speaks highly of Cozumel and I would probably have chosen it 1st but my wife has never been to Mexico and wants to experience the culture. The idea I have for Cozumel is to go to Chankanaab Park and do a little snorkeling off the beach.

Belize: I've heard that the dive trip by boat is long (1.5 hrs each way) so I kinda opted for cave tubing with cave-tubing.com per recommendations. Edit: I just noticed no Carnival excursions for diving at this port. Bummer.

Roatan: They say the diving here is really good. Lots of Marine life. This is a present pick for diving.

Grand Cayman: Not much to see on the island in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of the FL Keys. We did the Stingray swim a few years ago. This is a Present pick for diving.

I'm looking forward to suggestions on my Itinerary/picks.

Also, should I book Carnivals dive excursions or go elsewhere? If outside Carnival, any recommendations?

Thanks

Go for the cave tubing....awesome and take your dive light if you have one...just got through diving in Belize and did the cave tubing on the last day!

Go for the cave tubing....awesome and take your dive light if you have one...just got through diving in Belize and did the cave tubing on the last day!

I was thinking of a dive light myself. So many options on lights, some quite pricey. I'm kind of leaning towards this ligght at the moment. Amazon.com: Tovatec Mini Torch Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors

---------- Post added August 1st, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

Changed my my light pick to this Tovatec by Intova IFL WA ZOOM 300 Lumens Video Light/Flashlight

Has adjustable beam and can act as a very wide angle beam for video. Could work as a low cost entry video light for my GoPro if paired with another.

I would choose Grand Cayman and Roatan for the diving. So many other things to do in Cozumel for the short time you are there. For me 2 dives in Coz under a tight time limit is a really bad tease. LOL I need a whole week there to be happy.

I would choose Grand Cayman and Roatan for the diving. So many other things to do in Cozumel for the short time you are there. For me 2 dives in Coz under a tight time limit is a really bad tease. LOL I need a whole week there to be happy.
That's precisely what I did

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom