Help with BCD Repair--Torn Fabric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I mounted a pocket to my Scubapro Ladyhawk a few years ago. It's mounted to the outside of where the weight pocket inserts using plastic screws. It worked great until it pulled loose today. I have been thinking about reinforcing the hole with glue to keep it from stretching then mounting a plastic washer to both side of the screw before reattaching it.

I'm pretty good at thinking of solutions but would welcome any other ideas. The BC is around six years old and while I dive every weekend, it's not ready for the bone yard yet.

IMG_3451.jpg
IMG_3453.jpgIMG_3456.jpg

Can you get to it well enough to use grommets?

Yes. Big plastic fender washers. That's what I'd do too. Or shaped PVC.

Can you get to it well enough to use grommets?
When I originally mounted the pocket, my grommet maker was the wrong size. Not sure that will be an option. May need to reinforce the fabric if I try it.

I tend to use shoe goo (try your local ace hardware) for any fabric stuff that doesn't require much flexibility. Should work for reinforcing the fabric with e.g. a piece of webbing, may not work on plastic washers. Though some plastic will stick well enough if you roughen it up with a file or sandpaper first.

I mounted a pocket to my Scubapro Ladyhawk a few years ago. It's mounted to the outside of where the weight pocket inserts using plastic screws. It worked great until it pulled loose today. I have been thinking about reinforcing the hole with glue to keep it from stretching then mounting a plastic washer to both side of the screw before reattaching it.

I'm pretty good at thinking of solutions but would welcome any other ideas. The BC is around six years old and while I dive every weekend, it's not ready for the bone yard yet.
]

I'd consider fusing the frayed edges of the hole with a hot knife or soldering iron to limit additional fraying. Then I'd take a ~ 2 2" x 4" pieces of 1000 denier fabric. Fold each in half so you have a piece ~2" x 2" Place one on each side of the existing hole and punch through both. Then set the grommet. The extra fabric gives the grommet something to "bite" into.

Good luck,

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom