Help with back kick and helicopter turns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That back kick isn't BAD! You are definitely moving backwards (and it's not a powerful kick for anyone). The biggest issue you have with it now is that you are still dropping the knees when doing the powerstroke of the kick, and the loading phase could be a little slower. Watch the kick -- you'll see that each component takes about the same amount of time; the loading phase should be discernibly slower than the power phase.

I watched the helicopter turn for some time. The first thing I saw was that, in your desire to turn, you are using a lot of body English -- turning the shoulders and hips, as well as doing the kick. Relax, and just use the feet, and let your success or lack thereof simply serve as feedback.

Each portion of the kick -- the frog kick part and the back kick part -- is often executed correctly, but it seems as though there isn't a real rhythm to it. The helicopter turn, at least for me, feels very much like an egg beater, turning with a steady rhythm. One-two, one-two, one-two -- frog kick-back kick, frog-kick back-kick. Doing it that way, the frog foot really does "deliver" the water to the back kicking foot, which then kicks it away. Then there is a brief rest and reset, and the sequence occurs again.

I'm still at it. Now I have a drysuit to get used to but nevertheless it's getting better, I think. I should slow down when back kicking though.

Helicopter turns and back kick. Dry on Vimeo
Slow down a lot for the back kick, don't "throw" your legs back, instead slowly bring your fin tips together and then slowly move your feet away.

Hth
John

Really cool that you got video and can solicit thoughts on this. Totally the right mindset for the activity.

Didn't read all the comments, but your helicopter turn is effective but not fluid. One foot seems to be doing all the work while the other hangs out. Think egg-beaters, both ankles spinning in opposite directions simultaneously - continuous motion. Your right foot is lazy.

Back kick: you're not getting the power you'd be getting if you extended both feet out behind you, got the knees/ankles closer together and then pulled the trigger.

You've got both kicks mostly there, just need to refine them to get the most efficient use of power.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2014 at 02:23 AM ----------

Learn to do the kicks WITHOUT FINS ON.

Ok, reading the feedback now. +1 on this. One of my instructors fixed my finning by taking the fins away. I had to put gaiters on my shins to keep my feet from ballooning, but otherwise it was remarkable how a) inefficient it is when you're doing it wrong and b) how remarkable it is when you figure it out and start to move.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2014 at 02:24 AM ----------

[Edited: Just realized this is an old thread...]

hahahahha *facepalm* dammit

Looking great! Much nicer than in the 1st video.

Some thoughts.

Helicopter turns
- There is very slight lateral instability at some parts. Smaller movements will help.
- When going clockwise, watch the left knee, it's dropping at parts.
- Again, left fin, smaller movements. Don't let the left fin cross the centre line.
- Be mindful of symmetry of movement between left and right fin. Left fin moves in the left zone, right fin in the right zone.

Back kick
(Can't really see clearly as camera is from the front but...)
- Seems your fins are not touching when you extend. Your fins must close together, form a V shape, then extend
- extend it out fully, try to straighten your legs as far as possible while trying to point your fin tips down.
- I prefer bigger complete movements (more thrust) vs many small ones

What you have currently works, and that's great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom