Help! What's the difference between high end and low end wetsuit? How to choose them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you only have a $200 budget, it's going to be hard to get anything decent. I'd probably look at Akona in that price range. Are you in China? What are the water temps there?

100% ultra-stretch high quality neoprene

Thank you so much for your advice with live example!

While I was browsing leisurepro, I found they mostly described different wetsuits with the same words: 100% ultra-stretch high quality neoprene. It's hard to compare them head to head. Could I just choose them by price? always better with higher price? Actually I only have $200 budget.....

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 10:20 AM ----------

What a different idea! But is that means it would be hardly maintain a freedive style wetsuit?

It is not so hard to maintain them....but there is a higher level of concern for not scraping into barnacles or other sharp, tearing type objects that scuba divers will often bump into with no real adverse effects on scuba wetsuits....but this comes from being clueless about currents and large objects you are headed for :)

Magic22cn thanks for making this topic, i'm in the same boat as you. I'm starting my OW certification next week and want to get a wetsuit for the diving part of the course. I've been doing extensive research as well on wetsuits and the guys/gals here help a lot in the topics I've read so far.

What I've learned is that the wetsuits do vary in brands. And right now I"m leaning towards Henderson, I'm debating on whether or not I want to get the full henderson aqua lock set. (Suit, Gloves, Booties, & Hood) which would cost about $650.00 for a 5MM one, but a 3MM would be around $550.00 -.-; those are estimates.

I went around my local scuba diving shops in a 20 miles radius and tried to talk to the people there about wetsuit choices, sadly, it seemed that each shop I went, people only cared about whether or not they get a sale instead of giving advice, and feedbacks they offered nothing but pressure sales, or made me feel bad in the end. (When walking out not buying anything)..

So I've turned to online shops, reading reviews and this message board. I'll link you to the set I'm looking to get, Cold Water Wetsuit Packages this link has the 7MM & 5MM suits for water tempt that's below 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

There's also a 3MM one Warm Water Wetsuit Packages that's a bit cheaper.

But again those sets include everything, suit, gloves, hood, and boots.

I know you said that you're on a budge $200.00, but I haven't really looked at anything in that range. I'll post back if I find anything worth mentioning. I'm sure maybe you can find something below that range, just you gotta check quality.

The difference between a high-end and low-end wetsuit is mostly the material quality and construction. These days, the high end wetsuits have a super-stretch material. The super stretch is very comfortable. Also, the material tends to be more durable with the higher end suits, so it will last longer.

Keep in mind that fit is most important.

Cheers,

The difference between a high-end and low-end wetsuit is mostly the material quality and construction. These days, the high end wetsuits have a super-stretch material. The super stretch is very comfortable. Also, the material tends to be more durable with the higher end suits, so it will last longer.

Keep in mind that fit is most important.

Cheers,

How do you identify this "super-stretch material" when you are shopping?

- Bill

Back
Top Bottom