Help! Visiting Japan next month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
We are spending a few days in Japan next month and happen to have our dive gear with us :eyebrow: as we will be on our way back from a dive trip to Oz.

We want to take a good look at Tokyo as it is our first visit to Japan but then fancied a visit to a coastal village or town and perhaps a dive or two..........

The Isu Peninsular looks good but some advice would be very welcome:

Where should we go?
How do we get there?
Is it worth it for two dives or should we leave our gear in Narita left luggage and just be tourists?
Where should we stay?

Any info would be very much appreciated

Hello, most of us dive in Atami which is in Izu every weekend. You are more than welcome to dive with us over the weekend. The diving is good is Atami with a pretty cool wreck and a lot of soft coral. If you would like to dive your best bet would be to PM TJO and Thomas will be happy to give you more info. I look forward to meeting you and doing some cool dives.

Hi Graham
I dive with Steve and Thomas and second the Atami diving scene. We have a pretty good time before and after the dives as well.

Maybe see you then...

JAG

Thanks for all the info but this is looking less probable at the moment.

We are now going to be staying in Shimoda and will only be there midweek. I have been unable to track down any local dive ops and the Tokyo ops only do weekends.

Any ideas or will we be leaving our dive gear in left luggage?

Thanks again

jagfish:
Hey Graham
Looks like a tough situation. If it were after January, I'd be free on weekdays, but not until then. What are the approximate dates you wil be in the Tokyo area?
Thanks anyway.

It is not too big a deal - we are only there for a few days (around the 16th of November) and will have had lots of diving in Oz so we shall probably just relax and get to see a bit of Tokyo and Shimoda without having to lug a ton of dive gear onto the trains......

It is our first visit and we are very exited by the prospect. We travel a lot but, for some reason, Japan fascinates us. We LOVE the food and are very interested in Japanese design.

Grajan:
Thanks anyway.

It is not too big a deal - we are only there for a few days (around the 16th of November) and will have had lots of diving in Oz so we shall probably just relax and get to see a bit of Tokyo and Shimoda without having to lug a ton of dive gear onto the trains......

It is our first visit and we are very exited by the prospect. We travel a lot but, for some reason, Japan fascinates us. We LOVE the food and are very interested in Japanese design.

Well then you folks have a great time. Maybe next trip for the diving...

I'll PM you my contact details in case the poop hits the fan. My wife is Japanese and speaks good English, in the unlikely event you get into a situation that needs translation, give us a call.

JAG

We had a great time - no diving.

We really liked Shimoda and the surrounding area - looks great for diving / snorkelling but the weather was pretty rough.

Tokyo was fun - much easier to get about than expected and MUCH cheaper (Total pig-out on Sushi c/w Uni and three jugs of Saki for $42 for two!!!! - in the Ueno market under the rail tracks) I was in heaven!

Everyone (alright - nearly everyone) was very friendly and we managed to get by with a total vocabulary of about five words.

Next time we will do it in the diving season!

jagfish:
Well then you folks have a great time. Maybe next trip for the diving...

I'll PM you my contact details in case the poop hits the fan. My wife is Japanese and speaks good English, in the unlikely event you get into a situation that needs translation, give us a call.

JAG

By the way - thank you so much for the offer of help - we did fine but it was good to know there was someone nearby to call if need be.

Hey Graham
Great to hear you had a blast. You picked up 5 words in that short time....I think you are already outpacing my language acquisition!

Back
Top Bottom