Help? Travel pac or bp/w dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help!
I am suffering from paralysis through analysis.
I read and read and re-read everything.
I'm going on a two week dive trip to Maui. Recreational diving boat and shore only, nothing technical. After that summer Malibu california shore and Catalina boat. No cold water at all, ever.
Ditching the jacket for sure..
Decided on a hog system with back plate then looked at the travel pac.
Any input on which?
I have decided that both are superior to jacket.
Thanks
RT

I would stick with the hog system . It will grow with your diving needs and and is easy to change ,add to . It is modular . If you go tech (doubles ) just change out wing to one that will give you the lift needed and you can easily switch bake to a single tank set up

I got a Dive Rite Travel EXP wing for my trips to warm water areas. It has 25lbs of lift and packs very flat in a suit case. To reduce weight I paired it with a commercial diving harness instead of a back plate.

bc_bc4100_2__1.jpgIMG_2365.jpg

Backplate, I don't have issues with excess weight in luggage (who needs a huge wardrobe when your diving). I stick with my Stainless backplate, I need 0 lbs in 3 mil wetsuit and the system is so minimal feels like nothing is there underwater. Switched from a back inflate bcd and stainless backplate/wing hands down wins! But it will ultimately depend on your luggage, if you can afford to carry the 5 lb stainless backplate go for it (also cheaper than buying the fancier harness, travel pacs, weight pouches, etc.)

I looked at the Travel Pac, and I would advise against it if you are going to dive in California. You may not consider SoCal water cold, but you will have to wear at least a 7 mil wetsuit to dive there, which means a fair amount of lead. The Travel Pac will be at best neutral, whereas a backplate will form 5 or more pounds of your ballast, and put it right where it helps you trim out best.

The Travel Pac weighs nearly six pounds, anyway; you wouldn't be saving a huge amount of weight in your luggage, compared with a backplate.

My wife and I took our BP/Ws to Maui and Big Island this spring.

I have an Oxycheq and she has a Halcyon.

Both with stainless steel backplates.

No problems with our 3mm wetsuits and we got to shave a few pounds off the weight belts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom