Difference between Expensive & Cheaper BP/W rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thread’s a little dated but I’ve been pleased with my XDeep Zen aluminum plate. The use of a Y crotch strap is a step up in comfort from another plate I had used.

If you can find another option that still supports the Y crotch strap it might be worth a look at.
Curious - There is only so much gap between human legs in male anatomy. The Y straps still have to converge right under a man’s “Jewels” and give that squeeze with the crotch strap pulled up to the navel. I am trying to understand why everyone says this. I haven’t dived with a standard BP/W with a non-Y crotch strap so I am wondering… do divers with these type of rigs always surface a little blue in the face? :crying:

A single 50mm/2inch crotch strap in softer webbing is perfectly comfortable even when using a scooter to pull you.

The 'Y' crotch strap is just a standard unnecessary "improvement" beloved of marketing gimps.

Curious - There is only so much gap between human legs in male anatomy. The Y straps still have to converge right under a man’s “Jewels” and give that squeeze with the crotch strap pulled up to the navel. I am trying to understand why everyone says this. I haven’t dived with a standard BP/W with a non-Y crotch strap so I am wondering… do divers with these type of rigs always surface a little blue in the face? :crying:
I have had zero issues with the Y strap on my Zen and my Ghost. I also use them for DPV so I don't use an additional harness to clip the DPV too.

That depends on whether you're a regular human male, or Randy Marsh:

56761.jpg

I find the Y strap more comfortable, but a single strap is not a show stopper. It's like having heated seats on a cold morning. A nice to have but not necessary.

ETA: Especially when diving without a wetsuit when there's more direct contact with the strap.

Suppose it largely depends how cold the water is. Certain things shrivel up when it's cold :)

You also wear thicker under trousers and a drysuit, so there's a certain degree of padding.

Well I expect if they hooked my up by the backplate and winched me out of the water, I would find the crotch strap uncomfortable indeed. As this hasn't ever happened to me, I'm yet to experience the dreaded blue-in-the-face-squozen-jewels syndrome.

Suppose it largely depends how cold the water is. Certain things shrivel up when it's cold :)
I would recommend against dropping an activated hot pocket in your shorts prior to kitting up. :wink::oops:o_O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom