Difference between Expensive & Cheaper BP/W rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOG is fine. There is so little that manufacturers can do to differentiate their backplates and harnesses from each other, they resort to things like the finish. Witness Halcyon's polished stainless steel BP at over $200 (that's for the plate alone).
This is kinda what I was thinking. When the product is so basic, you have to resort to silly things to differentiate, and I am totally fine with not having a fancy polished backplate.

Imagine the feel of a Freedom Plate hand made and contoured to your back

Personally numbered and for the same affordable price
I did see those. They look super sweet, but for the life of me from that thread I cannot tell how long the back log on those orders is but it appears VERY long.

Yeah, once you go down this path there is no such thing as one plate to rule them all. Get the SS plate for cold water. Then add a HOG aluminum plate for $95 for flying to warm water destinations.
That's the direction I'm leaning. Compared to having 2 jacket BCDs, having a steal plate with a 2" webbing harness adjusted for my drysuit, plus an AL plate with a 2" webbing harness adjusted for my wet suit is pretty reasonable costwise and great flexibility. Just grab the wing and the appropriate plate for the trip and go.

Yeah, once you go down this path there is no such thing as one plate to rule them all. Get the SS plate for cold water. Then add a HOG aluminum plate for $95 for flying to warm water destinations. That's about the cost of a 2 tank boat dive.
HOG AL plates are $95? I'd go then with Deep 6 for $90 with a nice finish.

The SS backplate that my son got from DGX is polished.

I did see those. They look super sweet, but for the life of me from that thread I cannot tell how long the back log on those orders is but it appears VERY long.

That was then man, now a total restructure in process, get in touch, you'll be surprised

Eric Speedy Gonzalez Sedletzky on Scubaboard

I'm looking to convert from a jacket-style BCD to a BP/W rig, and have the same question as the OP. Also, is it most common to purchase the components (BP, webbing, wing, etc) online and DIY the assembly, or purchase from an LDS and have the assembly done there? I'm a little nervous about doing it myself, but the local shops don't seem to have a lot of inventory.

I'm looking to convert from a jacket-style BCD to a BP/W rig, and have the same question as the OP. Also, is it most common to purchase the components (BP, webbing, wing, etc) online and DIY the assembly, or purchase from an LDS and have the assembly done there? I'm a little nervous about doing it myself, but the local shops don't seemto have a lot of inventory.

Spacing between the boltholes is standardized but spacing between the camband slots: not so much. So if you're doing a mix-and-match, pick a wing with long camband slots. I think the ones most commonly recommended here: VDH and DGX, both have those.

That's really the only thing to watch out for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom