HELP... TransPac II / Inflator Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okey Dokey Then.... (PLEASE IF YOU HAVE A TPII, PLEASE READ THIS) Thank You...

My dive buddy uses a TPII, the Tech Guru at my LDS uses it, and I see quite a few other local divers with the things as well. I was pretty much set on the QD+ but have changed my mind as my diving is rapidly (well not too rapidly, gotta be safe of course :D )progressing towards the tech side of things.

Here is the deal, my dive buddy has had constant problems with his power inflator. It's already been totally replaced once and is doing the same thing again.

It slowly leaks air INTO the BC, thus slowly inflating the wing without him knowing unitl he realizes he is floating UP...
and has dump his valves and then put more air back in to get the BC to where it SHOULD be to maintain bouency.

This is not a catstrophic failure by any means, HOWEVER it is an enourmous WASTE OF GOOD AIR... expensive air if your breathing NITROX.

I then learned that the power inflator in the TPII is nothing more than a "schrader valve" , the same thing on bicycle innertubes.

ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS ISSUE? What Have you done to stop it, minimize it... whatever... Are you constantly replacing the schrader valves???

HELP... I'm supposed to be buying my setup this week and want to know if this is a common issue..

THANK YOU :D

The issue is not with the TransPac II.

The issue is with the wing that your buddy is using.

Is it a DiveRite wing? If so, my experience with DR is that they will make it right...especially if it is a workmanship issue with the gear.

The TransPac II can be used with any number of wings...but, unless you plan on doing sidemount why the TP II and not a BP and Harness?

C_C

My son and I each have TP II's and we are both very happy with them. We have switched out the Dive Rite inflators for ScubaPro Air II's on both, and have not experienced any problem with that set up. I cannot imagine Dive Rite not standing behind their product: have your buddy talk to Lamar personally. I am sure he would be interested in finding out just what the problem is.

Scott

Ohh, don't get me wrong... like I said they totally replaced the entire inflator unit the first time around. Unfortunately he is having the same problem.

Is is the TransPac II with the RecWing's. The ONLY issue is the fact that his wings fill up as we dive... I can see it before he knows it....

I'm not concerned because I know they will fix the problem, but I want to know the cause. We dive mostly shore dives, I'm wondering if sand could be the culprit...

Either way it's not stopping me from making my purchase. It's a great unit all in all.

Anyone else??? I'd like (well maybee not) to know if anyone else has had this problem with the inflator??

Thanks Again :D

It is a standard Shrader valve... and Dive-Rite isn't the only company that uses 'em.. many do.
It sounds like sand somehow getting into the valve - I assume you've checked out your LP inflator hose for pristine cleanliness... and always keep the hose connector on the TPII covered with it's protective cover when not in use... I suppose you could have gotten two bad Shrader valves in a row - it's not beyond the realm of possibility. But my bet is some sand hiding in the LP hose.
Rick

I have about 120 dives on my TPII and have had no problems. I use both the travel and superwings and do several shore dives each month. I haven't had any problems at all.

What sort of post dive care is your buddy doing?

I have a Transpac II with Rec wings and never had a problem with the inflator or anything else.
In fact I'm very pleased with it.
Did your buddy try to see a DR dealer?

Sue

Well, he does "rinse" his gear in the rinse tank at the LDS, but other than that he disassembled his gear without really wiping it down... and didn't even know about the protector you spoke of.

Our LDS is an authorized dealer so it's not the biggest deal... only bummer is they don't stock them,,, everything to order (it's a small shop).... and they are the ones who warrantied it the first time.

I suggested to him that it's most likely sand and to be more careful. At least I know what to be careful of when I make my purchase this week.

Thanks for the responses guys/gals.... much appreciated :D

Ohh one more thing... How much did you guys spend on your setups???

DiversDiscount.com (which is about 15 min away from me) is selling the TPII w/ RecWings and integrated weight system for $510 plus tax ----- my LDS wants like $640 and would have to order it.... My LDS is starting to hate me I think, because I'm always complaining about prices... but $130 bucks is $130 bucks ya know... and they are both authorized dealers...

What a dilema...

I want to do the same as you have done with the TransPac's inflator. Did you have your LDS switch the inflators? What's the deal with warranties and such after that?

Mark.

Back
Top Bottom