Help to decode Faber tank marking please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetFatCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:help:
The marking reads:

first line:
FABER MADE IN ITALY M8303 06/1050/ 176 04<triangular sign>06 TC-SU 7694 -237 BSE117

second line:
DOT-E 13488-3442 DO NOT OVERPRESSUR17E REE 97 TP 5250

I can understand FABER (as well as ITALY and DO NOT :D ), I guess that working pressure is 3442 psi.
What is make date? April 2006?
What is DOT-E? What alloy does E mean?
Is there any kind of serial number?

Thanks for your help,
Dmitriy.

Orignally hydro date is April 2006

DOT is the Dept of Transportion piece- The E 13488 is the exemption number. I believe the exact alloy would be specified in the exemption paperwork, but for all intents and purposes, it is a steel tank. The REE 97 and the TP 5250 are the hydro test parameters.

I believe the serial numbers are between Italy and the hydro stamp, although those might also be a product code, but the 176 will be different on other tanks.

THe TC-SU bit is for Transport Canadia.

Just as another note--it's a Faber FX-117.
Tank specs can be found here.

176 is the serial number

04 triangle sign 06 is the original hydro date (the make date as you called it).

The triangle sign, if you look close is really an A with a T made from the horizontal line of the A. This is the symbol for Authorized Testers who does initial proof tests (hydros) for the majority of cylinder manufacturere around the world.

You got all the important stuff, the rest is the Canadian info, There regulatory agency is Transport Canada (TC).

Hope that helps!

Aqua Marine:
176 is the serial number
Something tells me that tank serial numbers are longer than 3 numbers...

Well that "something" is wrong, but good guess....most are.

I can set up a Visual Cylinder Inspector course in Raleigh and you can start doing your own inspections.

I am kinda suprised you didn't use Faber Cylinders in your Advanced Nitrox course though....

176 is not the serial number. It might be part of the serial number...but it isn't the entire serial number.

The "06/1050/176" and M8303 are Faber's serial number and code respectively.

Source - Figure 9. Cylinder Codes in "Inspecting Cylinders" by Bill High (PSI).

Now if you want to dissect the serial number the first two digits (06) are the year the next four (1050) are the batch number while the last three (176) are the number from the batch.

I would tell you about the code but it is a secrect code. Only those with the super special PSI decoder ring can know about it. If I told I would have to condem your cylinder. :D

Back
Top Bottom