Help: The bends or lung over expansion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So on the 25th at about 11:40 I had a rapid ascent from about 20 - 15 meters give or take to the surface due to a panic attack. I was taken to the hospital and put on 100% oxygen for over 16 hours. In this time I showed no signs of the bends so I discharged myself from hospital after 26 hours because it was Sunday in Malta and I would have to wait until Monday to be discharged. My one concern before leaving was that my lungs felt sore. I asked the nurse if this meant I needed to go in a decompression chamber but he said it was normal. I'm breathing normally but I can definitely notice pain around my lungs from what I can only assume is tissue trauma due to over expansion. I was burping up lots of air on the surface which leads me to believe it is lung over expansion. I don't show any signs of decompression sickness but am paranoid and I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me as I will think there is an ache in my ankle for a few minutes but then it will go away. The only constant pain is around my lungs. Should I go back to the hospital and ask to be put in the chamber or are sore lungs normal?

Last edited:
You should contact the Divers Alert Network at one of the non-emergency numbers to inform them of the events and how to proceed. DAN's contact info is at Join or Renew DAN Scuba Diving Membership, Contact DAN You should see a doctor again about the pain you are still feeling. There are several doctors on this board, but they probably can't diagnose you accurately over the internet.

I'm breathing normally but I can definitely notice pain around my lungs from what I can only assume is tissue trauma due to over expansion. I was burping up lots of air on the surface which leads me to believe it is lung over expansion. I don't show any signs of decompression sickness but am paranoid and I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me as I will think there is an ache in my ankle for a few minutes but then it will go away. The only constant pain is around my lungs. Should I go back to the hospital and ask to be put in the chamber or are sore lungs normal?

My suggestion, as a person with an aversion to both pain and premature death, would be to go back to the hospital, apologize for skipping out on them, and ask if they would re-admit you and if you could be seen by an actual doctor.

DAN is happy to consult with your doctor if necessary.

flots.

I discharged myself admittedly because I am an internet marketer and really couldn't stay in the hospital and miss another day of work. I just called DAN and they said that if the pain around my lungs isn't getting worse that I should go and see another doctor in the morning. I show no signs of decompression sickness except for this pain, but I also complained of pain around my lungs as soon as I got to the surface but didn't really feel it properly until I woke up on the 26th. Does anyone wan't to hazard a guess as to whether it is just tissue trauma around my lungs or not?

Also, is it normal to not put people in the chamber, I assumed it would be standard protocol?

It IS standard protocol in Britain and I believe in Ireland, but in countries where it may generate an enormous bill for the patient I believe they're more cautious.

I am an internet marketer and really couldn't stay in the hospital and miss another day of work.
Which fits your schedule best: Missing a day or two of work, or being paralyzed for life, or dead...?

****, should I go back and insist to be put in? My insurance definitely covers it...
How about following doctors orders...?

I would also suggest first speaking to DAN and based on their feedback go back to hospital. I am not a doctor but if the dive was well within the NDL limits and I assume here the dive was very short, I struggle to see any DCS unless you have some other underlying problems.

Was your lung sore before you went to hospital? If so, your lung did take some sort of over expansion. If not they are most probably sore from the long exposures to O2 while in hospital.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom