Help suffering claustrophobia-any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try to concentrate visually on something initially as you are going under. This worked wonders for me while I jumped out of planes with the Army and actually assisted me when I became certified. This allows you to go under not looking at the mask and when you quit watching the item (your hand holding the inflator is what I used) you are already under and breathing normal. Don't feel illogical, just like jumping, breathing underwater goes against everything that we are taught as kids. It just takes a few tries to find your way. Welcome :)

Joan Varley:
I tried my first closed water dive last night in a local pool but could not get beyond just going underwater and swimming a little, literally beneath the surface. Could not bring myself to remove the respirator etc. required to complete first part of the course. Does anyone have any top tips on staying calm and collected?

Yoga, breathing exercises while on dry land. Focus on breathing continously in-out. Listen to the bubbles, I find them soothing :)

Joan Varley:
I guess the problem was the feeling of the mask around my nose and the feeling of being closed in.
RP Diver:
You might try a different mask. ... side windows might help to relieve that closed in feeling.
This is the first thing I'd try, Joan (in addition to just more time in the water with a mask on). Just having that extra light from the sides often helps immensely.
Keep trying, and keep us posted on your progress - we look forward to seeing you on the reef soon!
Rick :)

Like you I am somewhat new to diving but have to use various forms of respiratory protection at work...sometimes in very tight, confined spaces with entanglement hazards...so tight that if you take a deep breath you can feel you chest contact every item enclosing you. As you can understand this in and of itself would be more than enough to set someone in a panic and claustrophobia is an issue. Like diving, removing your regulator, etc. would be detrimental. First thing that comes to mind..and I am sure you have heard this before over and over is...STOP....BREATHE....AND THINK. Stop whatever it is that you are doing and take a slow, deep breath....be cognizant of your breathing and control it. Realize that you have plenty of air immediately available and are just using a different means of getting it...you have plenty of air and are able to breathe. Slowing and controlling your breathing actually has effects that will slow you down and make you concentrate..to be rational. Now think..what is it that you are actually having difficulty with?...Break it down for yourself..think yourself through it. If it is an issue with familiarity, confidence I suggest as silly as it may seem) becoming familiar with your equipment in a natural environment. If this means wearing your mask around the house for a bit (probably when noone else is around) then do so, try it with the lights on, the lights off, etc...you get the picture..get used to it and the feeling....take it step by step and move slowly forward from there. Move to the pool as you had and stay shallow.....take a few moments while shallow and realize that you are breathing freely and unrestricted. From there move a bit deeper (using a line?) and keep an experienced and patient buddy nearby. Your buddy can monitor your breathing and help you calm down if he sees an increase in your resp. rate. I know from time to time if I am idle with nothing to concentrate on I can freak myself out...so think of something to concentrate on if you start getting frizzed..a song in your head, things you have to get done....etc. In time you can mentally grow stronger and overcome this fear. Remember that you fear is not unrational and is not uncommon. There are many people diving now that at one time or another shared the same fear as you. Some may still encounter this fear while diving but had learned to manage it. Fear isn't a bad thing..that's what keeps us alive from time to time.....however managing that fear may be the key to survival in a crisis situation. Good Luck!

1. Does your mask have a translucent rather than black? A black skirt narrows the field of vision which can be good for underwater photographers, underwater hunters and tech divers who really need to focus their attention, but is probably not so wonderful for getting used to wearing a mask under water.

2. Spend some time in your local pool or open water venue just snorkeling around without the pressure of having to perform in a scuba class. Getting comfortable with the mask and getting used to the mouthpiece of the snorkel is important.

Joan Varley:
I tried my first closed water dive last night in a local pool but could not get beyond just going underwater and swimming a little, literally beneath the surface. Could not bring myself to remove the respirator etc. required to complete first part of the course. Does anyone have any top tips on staying calm and collected?

Joan,

I worked with a woman last year who went to the pool and got claustophobic as soon as she got into here wetsuit. She got in the water with a mask and snorkle and couldn't even get down below the surface at all. I spent 20 minutes with her while she hung on to the side just dipping her face in. Eventually she had enough and left.

Well she went and practiced some on her own and within a month was certified for open water. I grew up in and under the water, but some people don't go under their first time until they sign up for scuba lessons. When you try somthing new as an adult, there are often a lot of little doubts that manage to creep in. You know, we know better than we did when we were younger.

What you need to do is take it one step at a time. If you don't have a pool available, ask the shop if you can just go share the pool when they are using it. Take your mask and snorkle and just get used to being under the water at your own pace. When you are comfortable, then add the other stuff. Too many new things at once can overwhelm you. Take it one step at a time.

James

Scubagolf:
1. Does your mask have a translucent rather than black? A black skirt narrows the field of vision which can be good for underwater photographers, underwater hunters and tech divers who really need to focus their attention, but is probably not so wonderful for getting used to wearing a mask under water.

2. Spend some time in your local pool or open water venue just snorkeling around without the pressure of having to perform in a scuba class. Getting comfortable with the mask and getting used to the mouthpiece of the snorkel is important.
Hi Joan,
Welcome aboard. I agree with Scubagolf. Many new students find it much easier to use a translucent 3 window mask that fits properly. All of the Divers who have responded have given you sound advice. Just take your time and relax in the water. Acheive small goals. Let us know how you are doing. Take care and have fun!
Deep Sea Alan

Rick Murchison:
Hi Joan,
Welcome aboard... sorry to see you're having difficulty.
Could you give us a little more background? Are you a pretty good swimmer? Do you have any snorkeling experience?
Are your feelings best defined as a feeling of being closed in, impending doom, high anxiety or just general discomfort with the whole "face-in-the-water" thing? (none of these feelings are uncommon among new Scuba students, by the way, so you're not unusual in that regard).
The more specific you can be about what's getting in your way, the better we can tailor our thoughts on how to help you break that barrier.
Rick

Rick

Just wanted to let you know that I actaually passed my PADI Open water on Friday this week-yahoo. Just wanted to say thank you to you and all the people who posted to this thread and gave me some great advice.

Joan

Congratulations, Joan. But, what did if for you? How did you overcome your fear?

What works for me is just refusing to "go along with it" when feelings of claustophobia start to creep into my brain. When I feel it starting, I immediately remind myself that as long as I can breathe, everything is okay. Then I take a few seconds to just relax and breathe, usually with my eyes closed. I concentrate on my breathing, and try to block everything else out. The feelings of claustrophobia begin to pass in 20 - 30 seconds.

I hope that you continue your classes. Let us know how it goes, and good-luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom