Help selecting a Can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true, according to Henrik! I want one . . .

I can only speak to my own, first-hand experience diving here in NJ.

This NJ wreck diver uses the Light Monkey 21w Havoc HID, and I love it. The Halcyon can lights are great too. Their 21w light is same price as LM's. Both are known for high quality and excellent customer service. I'd happily dive with either one.

21w is plenty for most situations. More watts might be better some times, but more watts = bigger canister. I can't see going any larger than the 21w version personally.

Agree based on my dives in NJ too, although not as many as RJP. Cant comment about higher wattage, but I would love to try a 35W light out :)

My 21W HID is just perfect :)

In my opinion, LED is only preferable in the 10 or 12 watt range.
Then they're probably only a good choice in good visibility. I have a 12 watt LED light, which is fine for my part of the world.
But in Alaska or anywhere else where the visibility is less, my 12 watt LED doesn't cut it.
21 Watt HID seems to be the sweet spot in terms of price and performance.
There's a reason you see so many 10 watt HID and LED lights for sale used.
Not as many 21 watt and up HID lights.
For where I live and travel, my light is great. But I've got some light monkey 21 watt envy going on. ;-)

-Mitch

I dive with a guy who has the 50w - you can basically cook fish with it underwater.

Guess it brings new meaning to light signaling, huh?

You might want to wait a week or so to see what comes out of DEMA. I have heard Big Blue and MB-SUB have some new lights coming out.

Leds love cold water - more cold better for them (special if thermal path is OK - same rule as for computer processor )
HID OK but if you have cheap and assured suplyer with simple and safe socket (best is OMO automotive (others like Halcyon , Salvo , LM for me looks like DIY - honest ). Only socket I know for small lamps that is OK is from Brightstar (I use it in my HID 24W (photos))

Test tube lights HIDs from companies above are very well designed for CLEAR WATER where they have great penetration , but in MURKY WATER they are just OK.
Reason is simple light must first reach mirror TROUGH WATER to get concentrated ray.
If water is low vizibility ; that mean a lot of particles I'm sure that light output significantly
falls. At LEDs or lamps with glass in front of mirror , beam is intact !

I see that in our mine lake clearly!

But people are like sheeps and hardly think with own head.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am glad to here from fellow NJ wreck divers to see that this light is well suited for our waters. I will prob wait till Jan to buy the light.

One final concern is traveling with this light. I have read about the concern of LI batteries on airplanes. Has anyone actually heard of people's lights being taken? I think I would rather the light be in my carry on due to its' high price.

Back
Top Bottom