Help selecting a Can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangguy327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I Will be getting my first can light soon, and want get some opinions on what size to get. I do most of my diving of the shores of NJ and it can be dark and murky from time to time. I belive that I want to get a Light Monkey 21w HID. $$$ is not a deciding factor, I don't have a problem paying for good equipment when I need it.

Does this sound like a good light to get for the diving I will be doing? Is there such a thing as too much light?

Thanks!!

I just got a 21 watt Light Monkey light. I have not yet gotten to try it out, but can't wait. My cave instructor had one for well over a year with absolutely no problems. That's what convinced me to get one, after some issues with DR 10 watt HID lights. The lights seem very solid in construction. I like the electrical prongs that the Light Monkeys instead of the wire connectors. Seems much more solid & sturdy (for an HID light). The only gripe I have (I put in another thread) is the Goodman handle is a bit large for my hand. The only thing with a brighter light, I've seen, is that if your light is much brighter than your buddy's light, it may make it difficult to see his light beam. Basically it drowns out his light.

at the moment best price/performance for me have LIGHT-FOR-ME

for 555.74 USD netto (outside EU) ,5h burntime

7xre_3_20100911_1214908306.jpg

or go with smaller

7XPG Rec 5H but I didn't seen beam yet

I Will be getting my first can light soon, and want get some opinions on what size to get. I do most of my diving of the shores of NJ and it can be dark and murky from time to time. I belive that I want to get a Light Monkey 21w HID. $$$ is not a deciding factor, I don't have a problem paying for good equipment when I need it.

Does this sound like a good light to get for the diving I will be doing? Is there such a thing as too much light?

Thanks!!

Get yourself a Light Monkey 21watt, you will be very happy:dork2:I am so happy with mine! I had a few problems at first, Cory and Joel took care of my issues right away, no questions asked. Contact Bev or Brian at Indian Valley Scuba, they will take good care of you 1-215-256-6000.

Thanks!!

Get yourself a Light Monkey 21watt, you will be very happy:dork2:I am so happy with mine! I had a few problems at first, Cory and Joel ,Owners of Light Monkey took care of my issues right away, no questions asked. Contact Bev or Brian at Indian Valley Scuba, they will take good care of you 1-215-256-6000.

Thanks!!

This NJ wreck diver uses the Light Monkey 21w Havoc HID, and I love it. The Halcyon can lights are great too. Their 21w light is same price as LM's. Both are known for high quality and excellent customer service. I'd happily dive with either one.

21w is plenty for most situations. More watts might be better some times, but more watts = bigger canister. I can't see going any larger than the 21w version personally.

Give Wayne at www.DiveSeekers.com a call. They're right here in NJ. He's a Light Monkey/Halcyon/Dive Rite dealer but more importantly he's as avid a NJ wreck diver as you'll find. He can help you choose the light - and deal - that will best meet your needs. Tell him I sent you... he'll treat you right!

Halcyon Lights at www.DiveSeekers.com

Light Monkey Lights at www.DiveSeekers.com

Dive Rite Lights at www.DiveSeekers.com

Thanks!!

I'm using a 21w Salvo, which is the same thing you're looking at. I can't imagine you'd ever be disappointed with this ligh. The only thing I'd say is to order it with the E/O cord. It may come in handy later.

Happy diving,
K

Maybe you should look here:
mb-sub.com: VB - CAVE NEU!
Its a high power LED-system with an adjustable focussing.
A big review you can read here:
MB Sub VB Cave on test
The adjustable focussing is the best solution for different water qualities.

Michael

LED just doesn't seem to have the same punch in low-viz situations, as is typical here off of NJ.

LED just doesn't seem to have the same punch in low-viz situations, as is typical here off of NJ.

Not true, according to Henrik! I want one . . .

Back
Top Bottom