help repairing my BC...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alberta

Registered
Reaction score
I need help repairing my dive rite transpac BC's.

We have 2, the wife and I.
They are about 8 years old and 350+ salt water dives.
Last dives, 1 year ago, they worked fine.

I bought new inflater valves as a maintenance item.
Was told that the valve should come out easy. Just thread it out with needle nose pliers.

Both are seized in there:confused:
A small amount of corrosion is visible.
Do not want to force and break.

What to use to break down the corrosion?
Penetrating oil?

Help please, we go on a dive trip in 5 days.

Please be clear about what you mean by "inflator valves". I'm sitting here with a Dive Rite low pressure inflator in my hand and looking at my Dive Rite wing but don't see anything I would want to attack with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Help please, we go on a dive trip in 5 days.

I'd go to my LDS first thing tomorrow and beg and plead the tech to give them a once-over and repair as needed before you depart. Chances are they have more than one problem, especially if they've sat for a year without having been optimally maintained in the first place.

Please be clear about what you mean by "inflator valves".

The button that when you push it air goes into the BC.

Local shop???
Do not have one.
Nearest 4 hours away.

Local shop???
Do not have one.
Nearest 4 hours away.

How far away is your dive trip?

:D

The button that when you push it air goes into the BC.

Do you mean this entire part, which is the "power inflator"

power_inflator.jpg

If so, what exactly are you having trouble with? Removing the clamp that hold the power inflator onto the corrugated hose, or is it removing the inflator itself from the corrugated hose?

I'm assuming you mean this entire part...
No actually it is just the button and the valve that the button is attached to that threads in the whole assembly as seen in the photo.

I'm assuming you mean this entire part...
No actually it is just the button and the valve that the button is attached to that threads in the whole assembly as seen in the photo.

How much gas do you have in the car?

:shakehead:

I'm going to suggest that if you don't have the requisite knowledge to get the existing part out, you probably aren't going to do real well putting the new one in.

For the average diver - with average mechanical skills - "no user serviceable parts inside" is a good assumption here.

If your power inflator fails, you're looking at an uncontrollable descent as a potential here. Further, assuming the DE-flation button has been similarly (poorly) maintained a rapid, uncontrolled ascent is also an option I would not want to explore. (For purposed of this discussion, I'm ruling out oral inflation as an option in the case of a "total failure" of the the power inflator assembly.)

OK. You are replacing the Low Pr4essure Inflator (LPI). It is quite simple. You must disconnect the LPI from the corrugated hose. When new, they usually come with a clamp that unscrews. Remove the piece of black plastic tube that covers the threads and unscrew it. This may be where you may have to use needlenose pliers to hold the nut as you unscrew it. If there is corrosion on that nut, a little penetrating oil (WD-40) may help. be reasonably careful not to get it on to anything you will put in your mouth or breath. There may also be some soft rubber sealent between the old LPI and the corrugated hose that wants to hold the hose in place even after the clamp is removed. Hot water, and twisting will usually loosen it up. If not, some careful prying with a small flat tipped screwdriver should loosen it up. If you have a pull dump, then you will also have to press out the stainless steel pin to disconnect the cable. After it is disconnected, press out the stainless clean up any residue from the inside of the corrugated hose. Also make sure the pin will fit OK in the new LPI. If you need a bigger hole, you can do that carefully with a drill bit. If you need a bigger pin, it off to the hardware store where you can also pick up some zip ties to fasten the corrugated hose over the new LPI. They work much better than the clamp. Use two and position the clamps 180 apart.

Let me know if this takes care of your problem.

OK. You are replacing the Low Pr4essure Inflator (LPI).

Let me know if this takes care of your problem.

That's what I was hoping he was trying to do, but unfortunately looks like he's just going after the button and related valve assembly itself.

Back
Top Bottom