help! - reg not working right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

needmynitrogenfix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
hello, maybe one of you can help....
i have had a zeagle envoy for 3 years now, serviced it myself twice no problem. now suddenly a few months since last service the second stage is hard to breath from. when facing down in the water its slightly more difficult to breath than it used to be, when looking straight ahead its alot more difficult to breath, and when looking straight up its very difficult to breath. it used to be effortless in all positions. its not the intermediate pressure. it is set correctly, in fact i raised it a little bit just to make it slightly easier but it didnt help that much. i then had to adjust the octo so it wouldnt leak after raising the int pressure a bit above where it should be. anyone got a fix?
thanks!

It sounds like a simple adjustment in the second stage. All you need to do is loosen the nut labeled 9 in this picture until you get to a setting that you are comfortable with. If you have it adjusted perfectly the reg should free flow when you place it in the water with the mouth piece pointed up and stop when you point the mouth piece down. Your reg may look a little different then this but they all work the same.

SCAN0100.jpg

Is it noticeable on the surface as well as in the water?

Is it more pronounced at depth than shallow, or is it the same shallow and deep? This would be a better indicator of first or second stage issue. If your octopus is working fine and your primary is not than it is most likely a second stage issue.

Is it just harder to breath or is the flow rate affected as well? if it is just harder to breath it is most likely needing an adjustment. If the flow rate is affected it may have something blocking the flow or the first stage balancing is not working. this would make it more pronounced at depth than shallow.

Do you dive a dry suit? There was a recall for hoses as the small flow control plugs could become dislodged and move into the regulator.

Hope you solve the issue.

Rich.
The reg in question is balanced with a moveable orifice......it has no "nut 9".

In any case, loosening that nut would result in a lower lever height.....if the problem that the OP is experiencing is caused by a lever height problem (and I'm not sure it is) he would need to raise the lever.

.......OP, does the 2nd stage rattle when pressurized and then given a bit of a shake?

Last edited:
hickdive, i just tried the adjustment as you suggested to get the 1/8" lever play recommended in the manual. it was already pretty close to this though and not sure why that adjustment would make it easier to breath as i become more inverted. will find out once i can go for a dive. - thanks! rich, no nut #9 on this reg but thanks anyway! underh2oman, little bit noticeable on surface, same as when diving and looking down, gets much much more difficult the more i look up. octo is working fine, no drysuit, no difference with depth. i remember when i was 14m deep kneeling in the sand looking straight ahead at a bunch of mantas for quite a while i got so tired of the effort it took to breath that i switched to my octo for the rest of the dive. fishpie, no rattle! thanks for the help guys!

needmynitrogenfix:

"will find out once i can go for a dive" --let us know for sure; I have a similar problem with a USD SE3 2nd stage.

Sounds like you need to lower the int pressure back down to no more than 140lb, then set the second stage so that the dive level is back and set the cranking tension on the second. This is real easy to do with an inline reg tool. Otherwise an allen wrench and trial -n- error is the only way.

Remember that an1/8 inch in one direction or the other is a huge difference.

Once this is set pull the face off the reg and check levers under the diafram they should be almost even with the body of the reg ( some times these get bent from constant purging of the reg ). These can be manually bent up if needed.

Put it back together and check to see how it breaths. There should be a noticeable difference between to level being forward(pre-dive) and back (dive-mode).

I have multiple envoys and love hoe they breath. I keep mine on the razors edge of free following at all times.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rich.
The reg in question is balanced with a moveable orifice......it has no "nut 9".

In any case, loosening that nut would result in a lower lever height.....if the problem that the OP is experiencing is caused by a lever height problem (and I'm not sure it is) he would need to raise the lever.

.......OP, does the 2nd stage rattle when pressurized and then given a bit of a shake?

My mistake I told him to do the opposit of what needed to be done.

divemaster tom, i have an inline tool and it was all correct when i serviced it and i will adjust again when i have a tank handy, but why would it be out of whack? and my main question is: if it was easy to breath in all positions before and then gets out of whack wouldn't it be hard to breath in all positions now?...why is it very increasingly difficult to breath the more i tilt my head up? i know most regs are a little more difficult to breath looking up but not this one(originally).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom