Help/Question About Dive Rite XT4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
dflaher

dflaher

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I recently returned from my first dive trip with the Dive Rite XT1/XT4 regulator. Overall very happy, but the XT4's mouthpiece was digging into my gums for the first part of the trip and causing a fair amount of discomfort.

I went to the repair center at the dive operation and we kicked around a couple options, the first being a swivel for the second stage, since the second stage hose was 40" in length (I dive a primary donate/necklace config). The tech felt that would cause less pull on the reg in my mouth while the hose was under my arm. He gave me a loaner one ( see pic) and it improved the discomfort a little, but it was still there. I then purchased a different mouthpiece, a smaller one and that really helped my gums.

Prior to my last dive I returned the loaner swivel and then dove with just the new mouthpiece on the stock connection and the discomfort returned a little. I am thinking that I need to get some of swivel for the XT4. I previously dove with a Sherwood Maximus which had a long hose and swivel (see pic).

Any ideas on which swivel to get? I believe they come in different angles as well. I am heading out another trip in a month or two and would like to get this sorted before then.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Loaner Swivel.jpg
    Loaner Swivel.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 25
  • XT4.jpg
    XT4.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Maximus.jpg
    Maximus.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 26
If you set up your gear for other divers, how do you think a 40" will work, as the primary donate

Get a swivel more than 90, a 5" hose under the arm and the AQUALUNG comfobite mouthpiece

Try it, you'll be more than pleased

My regs hang from the inside of my mouth, lips with no gums and no chewing nubs from mouthpieces
No matter the hose length or configurations when done right

I dive with a short primary, for full head movement, no swivel

Your dive shop guy must be a moonlighting short order cook

I own several XT1/XT4 regs myself. Have you considered a different mouthpiece? There are MANY varieties. I replaced the stock mouthpiece they come with straightaway.

I personally prefer the comfobite style mouthpieces that come on Aqua Lung regs that have the bridge that goes being the front teeth. I bite on nothing to keep the reg in my mouth. I hate "bite on a piece of rubber" mouthpieces. You can get them on Scuba.com or a knockoff version on Dive Gear Express. Just an idea.

If you go with a swivel, i say get an Omniswivel, which is not fixed and will find the angle of least resistence (and most comfort).

I dont like anything on my palate so i dont use the Comfobite mouthpieces, but they are popular. I like the soft rubber type with longer bite tabs. Total preference.

If you go with a swivel, i say get an Omniswivel, which is not fixed and will find the angle of least resistence (and most comfort).

I dont like anything on my palate so i dont use the Comfobite mouthpieces, but they are popular. I like the soft rubber type with longer bite tabs. Total preference.

Or save some money and buy the Omniswivel clone from Cave Adventurers.

You either love them or hate them, that is for sure. Seems to be no in between!

If changing the mouthpiece doesn't help or isn't an option, I like the idea suggested of a flexible swivel vs a fixed swivel.

Hi @dflaher

I use a 40" primary under my right arm. I used an Omniswivel for quite a while and liked it. When it started to leak, I decided not to service it and switched to a Dive Gear Express 70 degree swivel, works just as well for me.

I have been using Sea Cure moldable mouthpieces for a very long time and find them very comfortable. DGX has their own at about half the cost

1724090810273.png
1724090832310.png

Thanks everyone.
I own several XT1/XT4 regs myself. Have you considered a different mouthpiece? There are MANY varieties. I replaced the stock mouthpiece they come with straightaway.

I personally prefer the comfobite style mouthpieces that come on Aqua Lung regs that have the bridge that goes being the front teeth. I bite on nothing to keep the reg in my mouth. I hate "bite on a piece of rubber" mouthpieces. You can get them on Scuba.com or a knockoff version on Dive Gear Express. Just an idea.
I am definitely gonna look at other mouthpieces, including the one suggested by @happy-diver . It felt like my gums were going to bleed if I dove anymore with the stock XT4 mouthpiece. At this point I don't know if the mouthpiece was the cause or the need for a swivel/elbow/adapter.
You either love them or hate them, that is for sure. Seems to be no in between!

If changing the mouthpiece doesn't help or isn't an option, I like the idea suggested of a flexible swivel vs a fixed swivel.
Is a fixed swivel the same as an elbow? Like something that creates a different angle, but doesn't move?
Hi @dflaher

I use a 40" primary under my right arm. I used an Omniswivel for quite a while and liked it. When it started to leak, I decided not to service it and switched to a Dive Gear Express 70 degree swivel, works just as well for me.

I have been using Sea Cure moldable mouthpieces for a very long time and find them very comfortable. DGX has their own at about half the cost

View attachment 856803 View attachment 856804
Thanks. I think I will try mouthpieces before swivels but this swivel seems like a good idea. I have read on here that swivels can either fail or at the least require some maintenance.

My issue is I won't have a chance to dive any new mouthpieces or swivels prior to leaving for the Philippines in October. So I may have to take the options with me and see what works best over there. Does anyone know if I can use the Sherwood Maximus 2nd stage with the XT1 1st stage? I really like the way the Maximus felt.

Thanks everyone.

Is a fixed swivel the same as an elbow? Like something that creates a different angle, but doesn't move?
Not exactly. I believe I've seen some that swivel but only in two directions vs. omnidirectional. An elbow has no swivel, just the bend. They are less prone to leaking as they have no moving parts and fewer o-rings. More like the one @scubadada suggested.

In full disclosure. I don't use one and never have. I'm going by what I've seen others using and from what I've read. So I am NOT an authority on swivels vs elbows! My advise is worth what you paid for it. :wink: But I do LOVE comfobite mouthpieces. I put them on ALL of my regs and have for almost 20 years now.

Back
Top Bottom