help please, wrist computer what to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi ,looking for an ez to use wrist computer ,and dont wont to trade one of my grandkids for it.,new to scuba. all shops say buy this one dont wont to wear as an every day watch/comp.

any help will be much appreeciated, sorry just saw been ask befor

Last edited:
There are lots of options which means too many different answers. Many will be wrong for you.

It makes sense to do a little more research to understand the options and then decide which features you want... Console vs wrist, Ai, air or Nitrox, multiple gasses, decompression capable, new vs used, LDS versus online, downloadable, large PRINT display, backlighting for night dives, ...

For example, you can buy a used, 20 year old uwatec aladin on eBay with a new battery generally for around $100. Great deal if you want air only and are willing to consider it a disposable device suitable for your first 400 dives.

A Suunto Zoop in a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount. Simple computer, reliable, easy to use and user replaceable battery. I've used one (Gekko/Vyper) for many years without issue. Some folk will complain about Suuntos conservative nature but I've never really noticed. Unless you're doing multiple dives over multiple days with buddies who are using more liberal computers you'd likely not notice either. Some people like the Mares puck. Both are cheap.

How's this secondhand on Scubaboard http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...nalyzers/484803-mares-puck-computer-sale.html - looks like a reasonable price.

I have 6 of these for my family, I think they are a great 'entry' level computer. One is wrist mount the rest are console. The Puck can be swapped to console/wrist strap (that's the Puck not Puck Pro)

I agree with Giffenk, you need to understand your requirement and match to the computer. The Puck will do Nitrox but may be seen as conservative I just see that as safe, it will guide you through deco if you stray into it.

I just went through the computer hunt and I can think of a couple of option at the 2 shops right by you. Divers Paradise his an Aeris Manta for under $300. AERIS : MANTA
Also Sport Divers of Houston (across 45 from Paradise) carries the Suunto Zoop for right at $300.Suunto Zoop Orange - Suunto

I would go to these shops and see what you like then go home and research.

Suunto Zoop

The usual suspects are Suunto Zoop or Mares Puck. I ended up choosing the Zoop and did a review of it here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/476179-my-review-suunto-zoop.html

The thread also touches on the Puck and the Cressi Leonardo. All three are "entry level" computers that will do air and nitrox, have dive logs, and so on.

I agree with not getting one that can be worn as an everyday wrist watch. The displays on those are much smaller, and why risk damaging the computer by accidentally hitting a wall or something with it?

Point of clarification. ALL the computers these days are easy to use. The issue is learning how to understand what the display is telling you. Sorry to say this, but you have to read the manual. Then you have to read it again. Then you have to dive with the computer and go back to reading the manual after you have some experience with it. The problem is that the limited display space for the entry-level computers means that they have to use symbols to convey messages (sometimes small symbols), and the action recommended by those symbols is not always obvious. But the consequences of misunderstanding can be significant.

Having used both the Suunto Mosquito and now the Aeris Manta for several years each, if I were looking for the next one I'd definitely get the biggest face in a practical wrist-worn package.

I like the Manta, it's rugged and the crystal is hard as diamond - better than the old Mosquito in both regards. If you look at the Manta or similar Oceanic Geo, make sure you get a 2nd generation or later unit, as the first generation models had battery problems that required an expensive fix.

However, these are smaller units and the tissue loading graphs are pretty rudimentary. Also, I find the smallest numbers of the Manta display to be at the limit of what I can make out underwater (old eyes). I'd prefer the more ready acquisition of slightly larger numbers, and a more detailed loading graph.

On the plus side, I can travel with something like the Manta and use it for other water sports, without its getting in the way or looking out of place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom