Help please, need to buy camera etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atma

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody,
I just joined up yesterday
I have been diving in India since 1974.
I want to start underwater photography.
Could some one advise me as to the best point-and-shoot camera and housing for a newbie like me?
And of course, what else i would need? Like strobe, focus light etc?
Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers
Atma

Best is a strong word. What kind of things do you take pictures of and what is your budget.

What's your budget and apecial needs, you can try checking out the digital camera ratings of various brands. They have some nice pretty selections over there.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot Lydia and bvanant for your replies.
i wanted to take mostly closeups of fish and inverts.
my budget is $700
i know i can get a canon G10 with canon case for that much.
if i am shooting in depths of 15m or less in cleasr waters , do you think i can get good pics without a strobe?
awaiting your advise
atma

G10 is a great choice...you can (it takes some skill) use a dive light in shallow water as a fill light...need one with a wide, uniform beam (boss, for example, here makes several)..you save both the strobe cost and the arms doing that.

Atma,
You need some form of artificial light at 15m to get true color. A movie light (wide uniform beam) is possible. But a good movie light with long lasting battery is expensive. There are a number of not so expensive strobes that will do the job and will freeze motion which a movie light does not do.

hello! Im looking for the simplest PNS cam. Any feedback re Panasonic Lumix ZS3/TZ7? or LX3?

i got my Pana Lumix ZS3! Im very happy with it topside. Just got my 10bar housing, excited to try it UW. :wink:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom