HELP! Plaza Resort Bonaire Gets Mixed Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at the Plaza last Sept in a Grand Suite. It was very nice. It was kept clean and we had no problems with bugs, service, a/c or anything else. They were renovating other units at the time but we never heard anything that would be an issue. The grounds need a lot of TLC. Toucan Diving was great. Food at the Banana Tree restaurant was good, reasonably priced, and served in a timely manner; we did not try the Tipsy Seagull. It's definitely not a 5 star but we'd go back. The AI package is a good deal but there are so many excellent restaurants we wouldn't go that route.
Tip: take wash cloths, the Dutch apparently don't use them so they aren't supplied.

Ignore the older reports. My son and I stayed in a standard Junior suite in June. I was pleasantly suprised after reading older negative reviews. I would and probably will stay there again.

The resort was clean and well groomed. Everything worked in the room and the staff was friendly and helpful. We ate the Plaza breakfast buffet, which was good and ate our evening meals in town. Most days, we just tanked up at breakfast and skipped lunch. Would definitely stay there again.

Hint: if you come in on the early flight, make yourself get your rental vehicle and dive briefing before the afternoon flights start arriving even if you want a nap. This will save you time and allow you get a couple of PM dives.

I've never stayed there but I've been going to Bonaire since before Plaza was built, It can be a long walk to the dive shop or beach. I've been told by some folks who have stayed there that some people drive the truck over to do the shore dive at the resort.

I read a recent review on BonaireTalk

Ditto what the rest of the group of 26 said. I found it an outstanding value for the price.

We also ate in the local restaurants, mostly. Yes, they are expensive, but on par with the costs in other restaurants on the island; the food and service was excellent! :thumb:

I was sort of the group leader of the small group of 26 (not sure how I got roped into THAT), mostly DNY members of ScubaBoard who stayed at the Plaza this last June/July, some of whom chimed in above. I have been returning to Bonaire at least once a year for the last 6 or 7 years, and this was my gf and my second time staying at the Plaza.

We were also there last summer with another group of ScubaBoard members, many of who put on this year ScubaBoard Invades Cozumel. We all had a great time, but as always, not every little thing goes perfectly, not everything as smoothly as you hope, and it helps to be able to adapt and overcome small things.

Bonaire is Dutch, so small hand towels are not normal ( it's a European thing I hear). It is the Caribbean, so service can be slow, even irritatingly slow at times, anywhere you go on the island. It is an island, so not everything is in stock in the stores at all times, and purchasing small items and food can be costly. Most of the resorts, Plaza included are not new, and none are 5 star. THAT is simply not what Bonaire is all about.

As there are few flights in and out of Bonaire, so the plane you arrive on may be the very same plane taking the previous occupants of your room home, so rooms often take a while to get cleaned again, and ready for the next group of occupants (you, me, etc). That Can be irritating, after a long red eye, but to me it is not a hill worth dying on if I have to wait. I always find a way to go dive while I wait for a room, if I have to. That sure has a way of adjusting my attitude!!!

The rooms are more than adequate. As said the breakfasts are quite satisfying, and do provide a decent way to make yourself a lunch sandwich too!

The dive op is friendly, and they bend over backward to try to make your stay a good one.

As a perspective: we have stayed at Buddy Dive several times, Den Lamen once, and off resort more than that. I would gladly use any one of these places, including the Plaza again tomorrow. (Dam sure wish it WAS tomorrow)

In short, if you chose the Plaza, you will probably have some minor issues, but then that may also happen anywhere else too, but you should find that everything is good, sound, well priced and more than sufficient, as long as 5 star, butler is NOT your expectation.. You should definitely have a great experience, and enjoy truly awesome diving.

I was with the group of 26 divers in july , everything I want to say has already been said . I have no complaints .
Hot water , kitchen , A/C , towels , I even got extra towels , ok I took them from the cart when nobody was looking :shocked2:

We were also with the group of 26 divers in July. I've stayed at Cap'n Dons and now the Plaza. The Plaza was very comfortable. The two bedroom villas are quite spacious. We had no problems with our rooms. We've stayed all over the world and the rooms and food at the Plaza are quite adequate for a dive destination. Dive ops and shop did a good job, never at a loss for nitrox, and the Plaza staff and maintenance personnel bent over backwards to make our stay a pleasant one. I would stay there again and likely will.

Reactions: Jax
Much of tripadvisor report are from last few months, so the old bad reviews does not fly. It seems to get really good or really bad reviews. So it must be a hit or miss on the rooms.

Also, discussions of diveops being far from rooms, tanks far from parking lot, got to gear up before getting onto the boat. Seems like lots of work for boat and shore dives.

Any other opinions besides this big group of 26?

BTW, I am going on the Insel from Charlotte (transferring from AA (Insel has no baggage transfer, so I have pick up/check in our luggage)). I will get there 9:30PM and returning flight from Bonaire will be 7:30AM. Boy, I will miss alot of dives because of this odd schedule. I hate to not be able to dive after 7:30AM the previous day. I might have to go visit the donkey sanctuary that day. Plus, I will likely miss the morning boat dive the next day.

Lwang,

Again, I was with the group of 26. We were about as far away from the dive op as one could be, but did not find the 5-8 minutes walk "long". Tanks and parking lot . . . you park in the loading zone and walk maybe 100'? from one side of the building to the other? I didn't find that "far". We did not gear up before getting onto the boat, but if one leaves the marina going straight over to Klein Bonaire, I could see them starting you kitting up on the boat -- it would be your 10-minute warning.

I think there might be some whiny-babies on Trip Advisor.

Like Jax, I also did not find the dive shop far from the rooms but I don't need tanks in my room. I need them in the truck or when I'm setting up my gear.

Dive ops leaves a bunch of tanks by the house reef so if you're diving the house reef the tanks are conveniently placed by the showers and setup area. If you're doing shore dives, back your pick up trip to the fill house area and load up the tanks.

I don't understand the complaints about how far the dive op is from the room, and our rooms were the furthest from the dive ops. Did they request to have the rooms closest to the dive op?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom