Help! Planning trip to Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sue-ba lips --

I was in Costa Rica last May on a combo-dive eco-tour package. I really liked it because their were lots of fun things to do underwater and top-side. We spent a day at Arenal Volcano, which was spewing lots of steam while we were there. The Tabacon Hot Springs were spectacularly relaxing, and that was a very nice resort. We also went white water rafting, and did a jungle tour complete with rain forest canopy tour. It was a thrill to zip through the trees at about 100' off the ground, and they had a great waterslide!

For diving, we stayed at El Ocotal resort, which has average rooms but a spectacular view from the top of the hill (although if you stay there and you don't like steep ascents, you may prefer the accomodations at the bottom - the hotel has a shuttle which will drive you up to the top, and although, being fairly young and in shape, I initially scoffed at the idea, after walking it once, I was more than willing to wait a couple of minutes for the shuttle!) They have a restaurant that is not bad and which is inhanced by the great view of the bay.

I enjoyed the diving alot but the viz is not as good as the Caribbean, the water is colder and conditions are a little bit more challenging. I tend to run warm and dove with a skin the whole time, but on the last dive, I could have done with more protection and everyone else on the boat had at least 3mm, and most had 5mm. It was red tide when I was there, and there were quite a few dead puffer fish, but we managed to avoid the tide most of the time. Lots of big things to see, including a wide variety of morays that were the biggest I've ever seen. Lots of rays, too, and a few sharks.

Playa del Coco had some interesting small restaurants, including the Tequila Bar for great Mexican (and the owner took us with him to a local place for karoke after closing)! Father Rooster's on the beach at Ocotal was very good too.

Costa Rica is a great place for divers and non-divers alike, and I especially enjoyed the wild howler monkeys in the trees! Hope this helps, and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom