Help planning BRIEF, first visit to Puerto Rico - mid Dec 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver858

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an opportunity for a BRIEF, first visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico next month, would appreciate some guidance on arrangements. Will have limited free time - starting Friday afternoon, Dec 14, departing Sunday morning, Dec 16.

I live in the San Diego area, am a recreational diver (PADI AOW, with ~150 dives over 11 years), take several warm water trips per year, tend to stay closer to home - Hawaii, Cabo, etc. I also enjoy playing in amateur Texas Hold'em tournaments.

Strong preference for Hilton properties, as I enjoy Hhonors Diamond status.

Based on my research, most of the best diving is on the West and South shores, which are several hours drive from the airport, Hilton properties; Culebra on the East shore also sounds great, but may not be realistic, based on my schedule.
The only decent poker tournament is at the Intercontinental near the airport, 7:30 nightly.

To keep costs down, my preference is to stay at the Hampton near the airport, as it appears very close to the Intercontinental, easy access for the morning flight home (7:45 am).
Alternatively, I can stay at the Waldorf Conquistador Friday night, which will make it much easier to dive the Fajardo area - which would make it impractical to play poker Friday night (not a deal breaker).
In either case, it appears that I will need to rent a car.

UPDATE : Based on external feedback, I am now leaning toward Island Divers in Guanica, staying at the Hilton in Ponce. This is due primarily to concerns with winter conditions in Culebra / Fajardo, superior diving opportunities in Guanica. END UPDATE.

I would be grateful for any comments, suggestions, concerns from those with firsthand experience.

Last edited:
Ponce is approximately 1.5 hours from San Juan down the 52 Tollway. You will need to get the toll transponder/sticker from the rental car company as they may no longer have manned booths on that stretch (at least that's what I was told when I was there last December). Guanica is about another hour from Ponce (it may not look like it, but it is). I dove once with Island Divers a few years ago. They are a good shop. They will probably start their morning dive at 7am or so and want you there 30 minutes prior to departure. December is usually very good for the south. Visibility in Fajardo may be good or bad. If you only have a real short time, you'll be doing a lot of driving for very little diving. If you had a few more days, the south would unquestionably be worthwhile but for such a short time, it's your call.

Here are a few options for you:

(1) Fajardo - There are two shops in Fajardo, Casa del Mar and Seaventures. Fajardo is 1:00-1:30 away, but it's easy driving, no real hills, etc. Casa del Mar does run occasional day trips to Culebra, Viequez and St. Thomas on the weekend. That would be great but remember to allow for some downtime before flying the next day. Those shops may even arrange for your transportation from San Juan. If you are around Fajardo, the visibility can be iffy. Culebra and Viequez are supposedly great places to dive but I have no direct experience. I have dove Fajardo and found it to be ok, but not great.

(2) Humacao - Humacao is 1:00 to 1:30 away. I've never dove Humacao but I've heard great things. Seaventures has a shop down there as well.

I do have a few general comments about the weather. In December, the weather is generally good, especially in the south. I have had several good years of diving between Christmas and New Year's. But, I have had a bad week as well. At least if you stay in San Juan, you can do an easy drive to Fajardo or Humacao in the morning. Call the shops the day before to confirm. They will tell you if they are going out or not. If the weather is bad for diving, you can go into old San Juan or go to the beach. If you go down to Ponce and the diving is cancelled, you do have some options, but perhaps not as many. I like Ponce, Guanica, and La Parguera a lot, but again, it's a lot of driving.

Overall, I really like Puerto Rico. Whatever you do, have some fun and post a trip report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom