Help Picking a Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie K

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Port McNeill, Vancouver Island,BC, Canada
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi.. I'm lookng for advice on what camera set up I should get.. I have a budget of 3 to 4k. Im primarily a cold water diver (40 f) and in summer there is a lot of plancton, so low light... I use a dry suit snd have fairly thick gloves... Im looking for a good, easy to use camera set up... any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreaciated....

thanks..
KT

What camera do you currently own?

I have a nice D90 Housing by Nexus for sale, along with the camera. It certainly fits your budget and I find it easy to use with gloves. It has a very good setup for using a focus light and that will be useful in low light conditions.

Do you already own any photo equipment? If you are talking full set up with strobe(s), unless you can find some good deals or used, might be pushing your 3-4k budget with a DSLR, lens(es), housing, lens port(s), strobe(s), arms/tray and misc accessories. I don't have any diving experience in BC but I would assume that with the viz you might want to focus on macro? That is a question you need to ask yourself: macro, wide, or both? That is greatly going to affect what setup you want to get. You can get decent macro shots with a single strobe, and a high end point and shoot or lower end DSLR. If you are interested in wide angle you will probably want two solid strobes, dome port, a good wide lens, and a full frame DSLR.

I shoot with a Canon S100 point and shoot in an Ikelite housing with a single Sea and Sea YS-02 strobe. I'm very happy with it and paid about 1k for it. If I eventually get a DSLR rig I want to do it right and I estimate closer to 5k (at least for the setup I want).

Others can probably comment further on this...

If you're looking for easy, don't go mirrorless or DSLR.

I'd look as Inon or Sea & Sea strobes. I've used both, and been very happy with them. They're expensive, but totally worth it. If you scrimp on anything, it shouldn't be lighting. Get the best strobe you can afford, or, better yet, two solid strobes. 2 S2000 Inon's will shoot almost anything a beginner would be shooting, and they will grow with you if you ever wish to upgrade. IF you outgrow them (doubtful) you can sell them on ebay for close to retail, as they don't lose their value unless they're flooded or abused.

Sony, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon all have good cameras. I've owned two Canons, and have been very happy with both. I'm a Canon fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've shot other cameras, and I'd own any of the brands listed without regret.

It's almost time for me to upgrade, so I've been looking pretty heavily at a number of cameras.

I really like the Sony NEX mirrorless cameras. I've shot the 5, and love the lack of shutter lag. The glass on some of the lenses is pretty nice, but you're stuck with whatever lens you strap on for an entire dive. If you put a wide lens on, and then want to shoot macro, you're out of luck. The lens port is also an additional failure point, and the housings are ridiculously expensive (but pretty sexy). If money were not an object, a NEX camera, and a Nauticam housing would be my first choice.

The Sony RX100 is pretty sweet, with a comparatively large sensor. Housings options are better, and cheaper housings are available. The deal-killer on this one is the poor macro performance out of the box. The camera does not focus close-in, and you need to spend additional money, and endure additional complication for macro shots, but I have seen some amazing shots.

I also like the size, cost, specs, and housing options of the Canon S-series cameras (current is S-110). This would be my top choice with my current finances, but the battery life is comparatively poor, which is a deal-killer. If you're shooting in cold water, you'll suffer worse performance with batteries too.

My current pick is the Canon G15 (I shoot a G11 now). It's arguably a top-of-the-line compact camera. It can't compete with mirrorless cams or SLR's, but it has good glass on the front, and it focuses close-in. The G cams have previously suffered from a lack of good wide-angle lens options, but Inon just released a $450-$700 solution to both wide and semi-fish-eye photography with the G-series. This puts it back in the running for me, as the lack of wide-angle was previously a deal-killer.

If you're using 5mm gloves and up, you'll want to avoid the Canon housings. Ikelite housings are good, entry-level plus options for all of these cameras. Fix, and Nauticam housings are available for most, or all of these cameras, but they run about a grand each. They're cut from blocks of aluminum, so they're pretty sturdy, and they hold their resale value reasonably well (though not as well as an Inon strobe).

There are macro, and wide angle wet-lenses available for these cameras as well. That's one of the advantages of a compact camera. You can change from macro to wide angle on the boat, and even on the same dive if you're willing to invest in the lenses. Most of the lenses can follow you to your next camera system as well (like the strobes), which adds value to the investment.

Its too cold for me to dive anywhere that needs gloves but I've been told many times that subal housings are excellent for use with gloves. They have large knobs and well spaced buttons for the controls and a large paddle lever for the shutter. Many people (including famous Britsh u/w photographers such as Alex Mustard & Martin Edge) have owned subal housings for British diving. I'm selling one (with ports & camera & lenses) in this thread if interested... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...amera-set-up-d300-subal-macro-wide-angle.html

would like some help to picking a camera. im from denmark so there isnt much light and i dive both ocean and lakes so algae is a factor. im pretty new to the uw Photo/video deal but tryed a sealife dc1200 and got really interested in Photo after that. i have been looking on a sony rx100 with Nauticam house, left hand tray and one sola 2000 or 2x sola 800, many a inon h100 and dome. hope someone can help with the pros and cons or better setup in same price range

Loeth,
I suggest you start a new thread with your questions. You might discuss if you are more interested in video or still photo's. You have expressed interest in video and spotting lights but not strobes so far.
You might consider contacting your nauticam dealer and discussing your interests with them.

There are other lights as well besides the sola. Here is one choice that I am told sells for closer to $195 in Japan and sell at £149 including VAT. I have not used it, just passing ideas and information.
Epoque World : products-LED photolight EL-1000L HP A105

Since you do not talk of strobes, perhaps you are interested in Video. You might read this thread.
Interceptor121 Underwater Video | Tip & Tricks for Digital Compact Cameras Users

Hi.. I'm lookng for advice on what camera set up I should get.. I have a budget of 3 to 4k. Im primarily a cold water diver (40 f) and in summer there is a lot of plancton, so low light... I use a dry suit snd have fairly thick gloves... Im looking for a good, easy to use camera set up... any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreaciated....

thanks..
KT

I think one of the more important questions that has yet to be asked is... what kind of photography or type of shots do you want to do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom