HELP! OPEN WATER + ADVANCED in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berriez

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all! I am new to diving and would like some advice on my upcoming dive trip to Cebu in JULY!

I intend to get my PADI open water and Advanced certification there as well as do some leisure dives! I will be there for two weeks and I intend to go to at least 2 (3 if possible?) islands to learn!

I definitely intend to go to Malapascua, having done so much research on it! (1) However, I don't know if it would be better for me to go there for my open water or my for my advanced. I would like to see the amazing thresher sharks there at Monad Shoal and I understand that it would require an advanced certification.

(2) Assuming that it makes more sense to go to Malapascua to get my advanced open water certification, I am stuck at the question of where to go to get my open water certification.

Moalboal? Bohol? Others?

(3) Do you think that in two weeks, I can make time for another island? I am thinking of spending about 4-5 days in each island... or would I be better off spending about 6-7 days in each island?

THANK YOU!!

Nelson, a local Pinoy, of Ocean Safari Philippines in Moalboal has over 20yrs experience of instructing.
Look after the local FIRST.
If you are lucky, you will spot the Thrasher Shark hunting the sardines at Pescardo Island(Moalboal).

Berriez, as a newcomer to diving you've definitely chosen the perfect location to begin.

Having recently spent 8 weeks on Malapascua Island I can definitely confirm your sentiments regarding points 1) and 2).

Although there is beautiful diving for OW divers on Malapascua, in order to get the most out of individual dive sites and to be allowed to dive others, I would suggest that AOW is a must. I would therefore suggest that you complete your OW before arriving on Malapascua.

For your AOW I can highly recommend the exceptional level of training, professionalism and the personal touch from Evolution.
The dive centre is owner operated by two highly skilled tech divers, who certify both PADI and SDI/TDI.
Having assisted them as a DiveMaster Trainee on several AOW courses I can assure you that you will get a level of training and enthusiasm above and beyond both PADI requirements and what most diving instructors will offer.

For AOW there are 5 required 'adventure' dives of which Navigation and Deep are required. They are keen to encourage Peak Performance Buoyancy as your third adventure dive (it should really be compulsary), as peak performance trim and buoyancy are central to the enjoyment/ease/air consumption/safety of any dive. The PPB training you will receive here is excellent. They are keen to teach the fundimentals of better diving and will give you a basic skill set that you can practise and perfect as you gain more diving experience. This includes not just the hows, but the whys and the dive usually ends with the 'beer challenge'. If you can hover 'motionless' with your hands behind your back and purge your regulator on the instructors pointy stick, he will buy you a beer. (Good luck, but You won't be getting a beer).

Both instructors are keen photographers and have a wealth of knowledge about the flora and fauna of the island so U/W Naturalist is a sensible choice which will consequently enable you to get the most out of any subsequent dives with the very keen eyed local dive guides. Or if you're a photographer then you're in capable hands for U/W Photographer.

Malapascua also has several unique Night Diving sites, including a 12m ish dive where you can watch Mandarin Fish spawn every night, and often see blue ringed octopus, bobtail squid, cuttlefish etc.

The again if you want an 'easier' (rubbishy boring) Adventure dive you could opt for Boat Dive, seeing as all the dives are from a boat and all that is really required is a little boat orientation and knowledge of the different methods of entering the water. Or Multilevel Dive; not so much an 'easier/boring' dive; but a stepped deep dive which will provide you with increased dive time and allow you more experience with dive tables/computers.

I'm not sure if Enriched Air (Nitrox) is an 'Adventure' dive, I think it is. If you find that you have a low air consumption, then being able to dive using Nitrox will maximise your time under water because the gas contains a lower percentage of nitrogen. This can double your bottom time on the Monad Shoal dive that you are interested in diving. Having a longer bottom time (thanks to Nitrox) on this dive site allows you to spend more time watching the Thresher Sharks and Devil/Manta Rays while the Air divers have to return to the mooring line and the surface.

Evolution can be found here:
Evolution Diving The Natural Selection
here:
Login | Facebook
and on Trip Adviser
Matt from Evolution is a member of this board so will probably pay this thread a visit soon enough.
----------------------
Regarding other places to dive.
Both Bohol and Moal Boal have come highly recommended by the other travelling divers that I spoke with at the dive centre. The sardines at Moal Boal in particular are meant to be an unmissable sight. Apo Island (marine sanctuary south of Cebu) has also received considerable praise from those who have dived there. I can ask around for you as I don't currently have access to my 'little black book' of recommended dive sites and dive operators.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

Nic

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Enriched Air (Nitrox) is an 'Adventure' dive, I think it is. If you find that you have a low air consumption, then being able to dive using Nitrox will maximise your time under water because the gas contains a lower percentage of nitrogen.

Are you sure this what the "two highly skilled tech divers" who run the shop have taught you ?

Nitrox will not miraculously improve your air consumption, try a PPB course for that. Nitrox will give you a extended no-decompression limit for a given depth (due to a lower nitrogen percentage in the tank), but it will not improve your air consumption. If with your air consumption you reach fifty bar after 30mins at 18m, using Nitrox would give you exactly the same dive time... The benefit comes to those with good air consumption, eg. the NDL for air at 22m is 37mins, but using Nitrox 36% you extend this to 70mins...

Nitrox is available as an 'Adventure Dive', but to maximise your learning experience I'd recommend not taking it as one. To get the optimal value from your Advanced and Nitrox courses I'd recommend choosing other Adventure Dive options, and simply do two of these dives on Nitrox (with the required Nitrox theory), and get the two certifications at the same time... Thresher Shark Divers on Malapascua offer a good value combo on these courses...

Nitrox is available as an 'Adventure Dive', but to maximise your learning experience I'd recommend not taking it as one. To get the optimal value from your Advanced and Nitrox courses I'd recommend choosing other Adventure Dive options, and simply do two of these dives on Nitrox (with the required Nitrox theory), and get the two certifications at the same time... Thresher Shark Divers on Malapascua offer a good value combo on these courses...
And so are Exotic, Evolution, Sea-Explorers etc etc.

Are you sure this what the "two highly skilled tech divers" who run the shop have taught you ?

Nitrox will not miraculously improve your air consumption, try a PPB course for that.

I think you might have mis-read the post....

If you find that you have a low air consumption, then being able to dive using Nitrox will maximise your time under water because the gas contains a lower percentage of nitrogen.

Ooops.... Yes indeed.... Apologies... Thought it sounded a bit strange.

Mike, which bit were you most shocked about - the "skilled divers" or that nitrox can extend your bottom time? :D

I'll admit it, it was me - I told her!

Berriez, hopefully you have the info you need here. Get OW before coming to Malapascua. Get AOW in Malapascua, or before and then you can maximise your diving here. Mike's comments for Nittrox and AOW combo is also a great way to set it up.

Lastly, I'd stick to 2 destinations in that timescale...as often noted on here it takes time, and money, to travel around, so relax and enjoy less destinations, and stat making notes for your return trip!

Good luck and feel free to let me know if you need more help organising your trip.

Matt.

Back
Top Bottom