help on zooming in on Cuddlefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aha.... here we go...

no cuttlefish is found in the Americas:

http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Soffic.html

yup, warren, they are extremely closely related. both squid
and cuttlefish are cephalopods, and in the subclass coleoidea.
also, they look a lot alike.

Hey - I love the squid eating the fish! That's great.

Yes, squid do change colours and quite dramatically, too. They, like cuttlefishes, can change colours independently on each side. Cuttlefish can also change their textures dramatically.

Warren...nope, a squidly, too

Here is a pair of cuttlefish - the male is the larger one. You can tell a cuttlie from a squid because the tentacles on a cuttlie are short and fat and the body is much wider, too. The female here was actually laying eggs under a small coral ledge. I stayed with these guys for more than 30 minutes...

I have a huge series of cuttlefish with textures, colours and poses...one day I will get enough time to post some variety :)

Abril:
This is the second time Ive ran accross cuddlefish and I can't get the camera to focus on it. Is there a trick to it. They tend to float near the top/middle of the water, but all my camera picks up is the ground. I got 1 simi-focused (photo 2) shot out of about 18 pics. Any tips?

Abril -

I see squid quite often on my dives and find them very difficult to focus on, too. They also tend to swim away quickly when they realise you have seen them! Cuttlefish are usually much easier to approach :)

Maybe if you have a setting for a certain distance where the camera doesn't have to take the extra time to focus? I don't know, but will be watching this thread for good answers!

On the anal side of things, reef squid are teuthoids ("true squid"). Behaviorally however, reef squids tend to behave more like cuttlefishes (sepioids). Hence their genus name of...

DUM DUM DUM DUM!!!

Sepioteuthis.
Sepio (cuttlefish) + Teuthis (squid) = SepioTeuthis

That's exhausted my math skills tonite...

Oh yeah, one more thing (geez can't I shut up?)...

You DO get cuttlefishes in the atlantic, they're just not those "standard types" within the suborder Sepiida. Ram's horn cuttlefishes (or ram's horn squids) float about pelagically 200-1000 meters, and are quite common. The common genus is Spirula, which refers to the internal "cuttlebone" being spirally twisted. It's also hollow, incidentally. Here's a pic I just HAPPEN to have.

archman:
Behaviorally however, reef squids tend to behave more like cuttlefishes (sepioids). Hence their genus name of...

DUM DUM DUM DUM!!!

Sepioteuthis.
Sepio (cuttlefish) + Teuthis (squid) = SepioTeuthis
LOL Taxonomy based on behavior!
We might as well start numbering the species as we'll quickly run out of names

ooooh... that's a neat looking thing

Here's a Caribbean Reef Squid for comparison to Alcina's Cuttlefish above....

aab.sized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom