help on zooming in on Cuddlefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abril

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the second time Ive ran accross cuddlefish and I can't get the camera to focus on it. Is there a trick to it. They tend to float near the top/middle of the water, but all my camera picks up is the ground. I got 1 simi-focused (photo 2) shot out of about 18 pics. Any tips?

Are you using spot focus? If not you might try that. I have that problem with small stuff but not something as big as a Cuttlefish.

I havn't played with the spot focus, I didn't think about changing that. Funny how you stick to the same ol functions and forget about the rest

Dee:
Are you using spot focus? If not you might try that. I have that problem with small stuff but not something as big as a Cuttlefish.

actually, Abril, not that you care, but i belive there are no cuttlefish in the Caribbean. that's a Caribbean reef squid you got there...i think...

(where is archman when you need him?)

Yep....Andy is right about the ID. I forgot to mention it!

That's also a small one which will make focusing on the fly harder.

Abril,
In addition to the other responses I'd be curious to see you take the original and zoom in on the fish by cropping the photo to say, 640 X 480. Then use the "unsharp mask" in Photoshop (if you have it) to help with the focus.

Funny, Last time I thought it was a squid, and friends told me it was a cuddle fish! He changes colors do squid do that? :leseratte

Gilligan,
I tried the unsharp mask (mind you im not sure what Im doing) but it didn't seem to help. I played with the slides all 3 of them but it just seemed more pixelated.

Funny thing though, once I blew it up I noticed he was eating a fish. Look!

Gilligan:
Abril,
In addition to the other responses I'd be curious to see you take the original and zoom in on the fish by cropping the photo to say, 640 X 480. Then use the "unsharp mask" in Photoshop (if you have it) to help with the focus.

yes squid change colors (though not as well as cuttlefish)

hhmm.... no i think that is a Caribbean reef squid too...

i don't think there are any cuttlefish in the Caribbean... i keep trying to find where
i read that (to post the link) and can't find it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom