Help needed buying my first regulator...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlm1986

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm heading out to Thailand soon to do my divemasters, and so am currently trying to buy the kit I will need, as I've only ever rented (which can be a hit and miss...!). I think I'm pretty sorted elsewhere, it's just the reg, and the parts that I'll need that I'm struggling with.

My intention is to buy the Aqualung Legend ACD - I've had recommendations from friends, and it seems a pretty reliable piece of kit. I don't want to buy cheap gear, but then again, there's no point in spending a fortune on a reg that is well more than my requirements. Does this sound like a good buy...? If not, any recommendations? I'll be most diving in tropical waters after the DM, perhaps venturing into cold water at a later date.

I was going to buy the following, can anybody tell me if this is what I'd need if buying the bits individually for myself, for a full working regulator -

First and Second stage 'set'
Octopus
SPG console
LPI hose for BCD

Are there any other bits I'd need like extra hoses or sealants?

Also, is it difficult to assemble by yourself? This'll be my first, it's kind of daunting and I don't want to get it wrong!

Oh and finally... the best price I've seen for the Aqualung Legend ACD is on a website called scubastore.com - can anyone recommend them?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really hope someone out there can nudge me in the right direction!

Cheers,
Darren

Get a HOG and bring a rebuild kit just in case. Dive Right in Scuba will hook you up and prob save you over $200-300 over that you have proposed. In the end it will be better and easier. Also scubastore.com is grey market I.E. no warranty. I'd get this: Epic II Regulator Set w/Octopus - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL or a D1 Kit which is cold water and will grow with you if you go tech... Also just get a small 1.5" slim SPG no need for deapth gauge as your computer will have one (this is personal, I prefer less bulk.)

How long are you going to be there?
Can you bring two sets?
How much pool work?

Depending on the answers to the above I'd consider bringing 2 sets.
1 A cheap 2nd hand Conshelf 14/21/SE2/22 for pool.....It'll also work perfectly well as a back up for OW dives.
2 Aqualung Titan LX ..... no need for the more expensive Legend (don't get the ACD gimmick) but if you have the budget for the Legend it's a fine reg.

.....other fine options would be the Edge/Hog, Apeks XTX 20/40/50, Zeagle Envoy, Scubapro MK11/17 G250.

Personally I prefer diaphragm regs especially in the pool and for their stability over "extended" service intervals.

Last edited:
You are going to be a Dive Master, a diving professional. You need the best gear that you can get for your money, the best value. Scubapro is the best value.

If you can, get a MK25/S600, next choice Mk11/C300, next Mk2 plus/R295.

Buy quality first, then you won't have to buy gear twice!

You are going to be a Dive Master, a diving professional. You need the best gear that you can get for your money, the best value. Scubapro is the best value.

If you can, get a MK25/S600, next choice Mk11/C300, next Mk2 plus/R295.

Buy quality first, then you won't have to buy gear twice!

Beaverdivers, your post count is quickly climbing with those miserable ski conditions out your way. I have passed by your shop hundreds of times during visits to Vail in the past:wink:

Beaver - nice advertising. ScubaPro makes some good gear but their sales policies sure seem to suck water. Scott you need to quit skiing Colorado every knows Utah's snow is better and we even have some fine beers.

To the OP and few things to consider. There are lots of good regs out there. I prefer Atomic Aquatics regs. If you like AquaLung go for it. I hear good things about their regs so I am sure you will happy. Not sure where you are located but if in the states there can be issues with buying gear from Europe as it is gray market and will have no warranty. The other thing to consider is servicing. Sounds as though you will be traveling. As such, being able to get parts world wide is important. AquaLung is one such company so you should be fine there. As suggested learn to service your own kit as you will be needed to do quick fixes while helping clients. They will be more than happy to buy you a beer at the end of the day when you save their dive, not too mention tipping better.

One last recommendation you say SPG console. That implies and SPG/Depth Gauge/Compass Combo. I would suggest just getting an SPG on a hose and buying a wrist mounted computer. And if you want a compass also get one that is wrist mounted (if you do not need it for the dive just clip it off to your bcd). Why a wrist mount computer of a depth gauge - when actually working as a DM with students you will going up and down like French whoore from Marseilles. It will be nice to know what the impacts of the ride will be :).

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I think I may have solved the mysteries of what individual pieces of kit I'll need. I've also found what I think is a far more reputable retailer (as I'm based in the UK).It still seems a bit of a minefield in terms of which gear to choose, as there are so many options, but I'm leaning towards the AL Titan Lx - I'm struggling to find anyone with anything bad to say about it - and it seems to be the equally well performing younger brother of the Legend... is that right??As for the console - thanks got the suggestions - I hadn't really considered 'slimming down' to just the SPG - I've got a dive computer already (Suunto D4), so why over complicate and duplicate thins I guess..?!I know this is in the regs forum, but one more question if I can - on fins this time...Has anybody got an opinion on Mares Raptors, or split fins in general... as in, how do they compare to performance of more conventional blade fins?!Thanks again in anticipation!!

I didn't care for the 1.5" SPG, even on a stage, so I swapped it and went to a 2". I was using the 2" on my backgas but figured I'd grab a 2.5"... jury's still out, it's pretty big.

I've never been unhappy enough with my bottom-of-the-line blade fins to even consider paying 3-4x as much for splits.

Get a tourist to buy Apeks in UK and claim the VAT on leaving the country!!!!
There should be plenty of old Apeks around in UK at knock down prices.
DS-4 with TX/ATX50 and TX/ATX40/20.

Buy British.....get an Apeks.
The XTX 20.....the base model, is just as good as the AquaLung LX (The LX 2nd stage is an Apeks design anyway).

Back
Top Bottom