HELP NEEDED! Buying camera??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I really want to get into underwater photography, but I don't have much of an idea on what I need. My entire photo taking experience has been limited to on the surface (not counting the chap u/w cameras) I am comfortable with digital, and am a pretty advanced Adobe photoshop user, but am not opposed to film. I don't mind spending money, if I get results for what I pay for- but being new am not sure i am ready for a big investment yet. What I am looking for are some good reccomended set-ups for a beginner that allows for some growing room as well. I was hoping to be in the $500 range (not sure if that is parctical) Most of my pics will be in the pacific NW, and I have been told that for any serious photography an external strobe is a must. So if you got any suggestions, please reccomend a good beginner package. thanks!!

I am still looking for the UW digital camera and housing. Later on I will also invest in the external strobe.

If your budget is $500 here in Europe it will be very very difficult to get something good. For that amount you will probably just find small camera and housing. Good external strobe are kind of expensive.

On the following web site you can find any camera you like and the relative UW housing. It a good site for start the search.

http://www.digideep.com

For $500 you can get a great little set-up minus the external strobe.

I'd say head for 1) Canon's cameras...I have been using them for several years without an external strobe and really had some great results or 2) Oly 5050 and PT housing...I haven't even had my new strobe wet so all previous shots have been with internal only...I think there are some very good shots in my collection now. The trick is to work within the limits of your system, external strobe or not, and strive for the best results that way.

No good beating your moped up because it isn't a Ducati :)

I too would recommend the canon cameras, I have had no problems with them and have has some great photos.

Back
Top Bottom