Help! Need to rid Ear of fluid, possible infection! Fast!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have a little over a week until my 3 day diving excursion to Scorpion Anchorage on Santa Cruz Island and ofcourse I get an ear infection. My Right ear is somewhat clogged "I can still equalize" and feels warm/mild burning and small waves of pain. My left ear also has some fluid in it, but not as severe as he right. I will be going to the doctors on Monday morning, but want to stop it in its tracks now. I had a few recommendations which I've been thinking about trying. First is those natural ear drops that are found at the Whole Foods markets, Henry's, etc. They appear to be different types of oils "olive, garlic, etc." Also I've heard using Hydrogen Peroxide in the ear can help as well.

Orally, I've found that Golden Seal and Echineca can act as natural antibiotics to fight infection. I also have a couple Amoxicilin 500mg left over from my tooth extraction I had a few months back.

My doctor seems she doesn't like to prescribe anything to me and personally I don't like taking any medication I absolutely don't need. But this time is different and I really need to clear this up now! I will express my concern to her when I go for my appointment on Monday, but I fear she will not prescribe me anything.

I've had similar ear symptoms as this before and have just let it run its course and with a week or two, I am completely fine. But I've been planning this trip too long and have spent too much money making it happen, to risk not diving due to this problem.

Any help, concerns, opinions... anything.. would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would start taking Sudafed (the original formulation, with pseudoephedrine) asap.

Why don't you ask your pharmacist? They can be a wealth of knowledge and as long as it's non prescription you don't need a doc to get it.

Hi FrankPro1,

1. If you have congestion/infection of the middle ear space, drops placed in the external ear canal aren't going to be of any benefit. Moreover, putting hydrogen peroxide in the canal could create another problem, excessive dryness and perhaps infection.

2. Taking a couple "Amoxicilin" left over from a tooth extraction some months ago is not wise. If the doctor you are seeing on Mon suspects infection, s/he will want prescribe his or her own antibiotic and amoxicillin well may not be it.

3. The research evidence really does not suggest that echinacea is likely to be of benefit in the situation described.

4. As regards hastening resolution, steps the diver can take on his or her own tend to be of rather limited effectiveness. One can try an OTC decongestant such as original Sudafed; a heating pad applied to the affected ear; sleeping laying on the side opposite the congested ear; and frequent, gentle clearing maneuvers periodically throughout the day, but don't expect miracles.

A visit to the ENT would seem the best bet, but it'll have to quick if one is going to dive in a week. Treatment with prescription steroids and decongestants sometimes can hasten absorption/drainage of accumulated fluid within in the middle ear space. Mostly, however, it's a matter of tincture of time. And infection of course must be treated.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thanks for the info guy's.. I'll wait till Monday and see what my Doc says. I'll report back with her findings.

I think a doctor that doesn't just push pills for everything or give antibiotics unnecessarily is a good thing. But if you do have an ear infection that needs antibiotics, I can't imagine she won't prescribe them.

As far as all the various OTC drops and concoctions, I think most of them are of more use in preventing infections than curing them. In the future you might want to buy the swimmers ear stuff or make one of the "ear beer" recipes and use it on a regular basis after diving, this seems to help many people.

I'm surprised you have antibiotics left over from something. Ok, I'm not a doctor, yada yada - but generally when you take antibiotics, you are supposed to finish the whole prescription. If you get antibiotics for your ear, it will probably feel much better in a day or 2, but you still need to finish the whole course. Not doing so is believed to leave behind the tougher bacteria that didn't get nuked right away, leaving you open to the infection flaring back up with tougher critters.

I would start taking Sudafed (the original formulation, with pseudoephedrine) asap.

I would do the same unless you have any other medical problems like high blood pressure, heart disease, prostrate problems, or others listed on the container.

The original formulation is still OTC but you will have to actually speak with a pharmacist and sign for it in order to get it.

Good luck.

I think a doctor that doesn't just push pills for everything or give antibiotics unnecessarily is a good thing.

Totally agree. I am reluctant to take almost any medicine, unless absolutely necessary. One of the reasons I've stuck with her as my general practitioner for so long was because she is very conservative with her diagnosis and prescriptions. In this case where quick recovery is of the essence, I hope she understands and prescribes treatment accordingly.

I'm surprised you have antibiotics left over from something. Ok, I'm not a doctor, yada yada - but generally when you take antibiotics, you are supposed to finish the whole prescription. If you get antibiotics for your ear, it will probably feel much better in a day or 2, but you still need to finish the whole course. Not doing so is believed to leave behind the tougher bacteria that didn't get nuked right away, leaving you open to the infection flaring back up with tougher critters.

I know..I know... I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed and after 2 weeks of antibiotics, I felt there was no further risk of infection. My wounds had healed up quite nicely and with the strict oral cleaning I was doing, I felt I could safely get off them.

I'm currently just boosting my immune system with Vit C and Yao Chin tablets. Tomorrow when I go see her, I'll decide what to do from there. If she prescribes antibiotics and drops, I follow that regimen. But if she chooses not to treat it with anything, I probably go the natural root and get the "ear oil" drops and start taking Golden seal "as a natural antibiotic".

I'll update when I get back from her. :wink:

I will be going to the doctors on Monday morning, but want to stop it in its tracks now. I had a few recommendations which I've been thinking about trying. First is those natural ear drops that are found at the Whole Foods markets, Henry's, etc. They appear to be different types of oils "olive, garlic, etc."

Orally, I've found that Golden Seal and Echineca can act as natural antibiotics to fight infection.

Just in case anyone finds this thread while searching the forum. If you have a problem with your ears, seek professional medical help. Folk remedies like garlic in your ear or herbs will just make you smell funny. The good news is, those placebos sold in hippie food stores generally aren't harmful to you either unless you delay getting real medical treatment for a serious condition while you "see if they work".

I've been planning this trip too long and have spent too much money making it happen, to risk not diving due to this problem.

You need to break yourself of that mentality immediately. That sounds like a DAN lessons for life story in the back of a scuba magazine.

"Timmy came down an infection in both ears a week before diving, but he was afraid to see his doctor because they might tell him to abort his planned diving. And he had bought a new pair of fins just for this trip but neglected trip insurance."

Don't be the guy who sounds like the guy in the accident section in the back of the magazine. I repeat, don't be that guy.

I'm currently just boosting my immune system with Vit C and Yao Chin tablets.

No, you aren't. The only thing that vitamin C does in large doses in large trials is produce digestive irritation including diarrhea.

If you are really freaking out about missing a dive, go to a minor medical that's open on Sundays instead of throwing away more money on placebos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom