Help! Need to rid Ear of fluid, possible infection! Fast!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The good news is, those placebos sold in hippie food stores generally aren't harmful to you either unless you delay getting real medical treatment for a serious condition while you "see if they work".

I cannot speak from direct experience from the "hippie" ear drops, but I have had very positive results with other non-western medicines. Specifically certain blends of Chinese herbs "which have thousands of years of usage" have greatly helped digestive disorders which I've experienced in the past. One western medicine practitioner diagnosed me as having Crohn's disease, while another said I had a severe case of IBS. I went to a Chinese herbalist/acupuncturist "who was an ex-western med-pharmacist" and within a couple weeks my digestive problems were clearing up. That's after 5 months of excruciating digestive problems.

I have also used blends such as Yao Chin tablets to prevent flu and cold symptoms from developing fully. When I feel I'm getting sick, dosing myself up with Vit C and an Herbal blend has effectively stopped the sickness from taking hold. Friends of mine have also had great results with this approach.

Sounds like you've been programed to believe one path is the answer. I and many others have found that a holistic approach, using a blend of western, eastern and non traditional medicines is very effective.

No, you aren't. The only thing that vitamin C does in large doses in large trials is produce digestive irritation including diarrhea.

I've taken 1000's of Mgs of Vit C in a day without having any adverse effects. Some people may have this adverse effect, but I surely haven't. There has been more research about the immune-boosting effects of Vitamin C than perhaps any other nutrient. Vitamin C increases the production of infection-fighting white blood cells and antibodies and increases levels of interferon.

As regards hastening resolution, steps the diver can take on his or her own tend to be of rather limited effectiveness. One can try an OTC decongestant such as original Sudafed; a heating pad applied to the affected ear; sleeping laying on the side opposite the congested ear; and frequent, gentle clearing maneuvers periodically throughout the day, but don't expect miracles.

A visit to the ENT would seem the best bet, but it'll have to quick if one is going to dive in a week. Treatment with prescription steroids and decongestants sometimes can hasten absorption/drainage of accumulated fluid within in the middle ear space. Mostly, however, it's a matter of tincture of time. And infection of course must be treated.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.
Sorry to hear about your ear Frank.
I used to see my ENT so much from surfing that it was on a first name basis. The Doc is correct, see an ENT. I suffered from the same problem last year.
Meantime keep it clean and dry.
Good luck..................

You need to break yourself of that mentality immediately. That sounds like a DAN lessons for life story in the back of a scuba magazine.

The one thing you've said which I agree with:D I of course won't dive if there is risk of equalizing problems. Even now I can still equalize, but it is somewhat restrictive. I've been planning this trip for almost a year. A lot of time, money and effort has gone into making this work. I still have a week, which should be plenty of time to clear up this "minor" ear problem. I knew I should have stayed out of the water last week and not go surfing. I guess that's what I get for not following my gut.

I cannot speak from direct experience from the "hippie" ear drops, but I have had very positive results with other non-western medicines. Specifically certain blends of Chinese herbs "which have thousands of years of usage" have greatly helped digestive disorders which I've experienced in the past. One western medicine practitioner diagnosed me as having Crohn's disease, while another said I had a severe case of IBS. I went to a Chinese herbalist/acupuncturist "who was an ex-western med-pharmacist" and within a couple weeks my digestive problems were clearing up. That's after 5 months of excruciating digestive problems.

I have also used blends such as Yao Chin tablets to prevent flu and cold symptoms from developing fully. When I feel I'm getting sick, dosing myself up with Vit C and an Herbal blend has effectively stopped the sickness from taking hold. Friends of mine have also had great results with this approach.

Sounds like you've been programed to believe one path is the answer. I and many others have found that a holistic approach, using a blend of western, eastern and non traditional medicines is very effective.

I've taken 1000's of Mgs of Vit C in a day without having any adverse effects. Some people may have this adverse effect, but I surely haven't. There has been more research about the immune-boosting effects of Vitamin C than perhaps any other nutrient. Vitamin C increases the production of infection-fighting white blood cells and antibodies and increases levels of interferon.

This is the "diving medicine" subforum. There isn't a "diving bunk medicine" forum for Witch Doctor remedies, ceremonial dances, liters of water from healing springs, mystical herbs, or virgin sacrifices to volcanoes to cure diving ailments.

Scuba is based on on rigorous scientific testing. No herb, snake oil, or aroma therapy will prevent or cure DCS. Don't go all voodoo just because are currently not on a dive trip.

The reason you get better taking placebos isn't because the placebos actually cure you. Yes, most of those mumbo jumbo you were doing were placebos. In fact, acupuncture tested worse than a placebo in recent trials. IBS is a catchall for having.... IBS. Sometimes it goes away on its own, like the IBS I had from eating too much habanero in Cozumel. Few months and then it went away. Getting better when you saw the witch doctor isn't evidence that he helped you, since there is no evidence any of their remedies actually work.

Anyway, go see a real doctor. Yeah, they diagnose wrong sometimes, but the alternative health people diagnose wrong about 85 percent of the time (according to a an experiment where someone with easy classic asthma was sent to alt-health practitioners).

"Specifically certain blends of Chinese herbs "which have thousands of years of usage"". Used for thousands of years and not a single study shows them outperforming a placebo. That's a pretty bad record. Yes, people can do stupid things for thousands of years and it isn't evidence of anything other than human weakness.

This is the "diving medicine" subforum. There isn't a "diving bunk medicine" forum for Witch Doctor remedies, ceremonial dances, liters of water from healing springs, mystical herbs, or virgin sacrifices to volcanoes to cure diving ailments.

Comparing such practices with proven natural treatments in use by billions of people is ludicrous. You've proven your ignorance:lotsalove:

Comparing such practices with proven natural treatments

That's the problem Frank. Real medicine not only has to be "proven" with a double blind clinical trial, but that trial has to be evaluated by others for correctness. That's the standard for "proven" with real medicine.

The standard for "natural cures" is something like "at least 20 people on a yahoo message board swear by it".

Penicillin is about as natural as you can get. Its sold as a prescription remedy that has been evaluated by the FDA. Its prescribed by real doctors that wear white coats and have degrees from real colleges.

The reason the mystical mold/herb/garlic oil you are buying isn't being sold to you by someone in a labcoat isn't because of western medical hubris. It's because it can't outperform a placebo in a double blind study. That is what we call "proof".

It must really sting having a person you think is a "Tennessee redneck" teach the basics of what constitutes proof. But I think you should take it less harshly. You can imagine how I felt the first time someone else enlightened me. I reacted much in the same way.

Anyway, good luck with your ears. The body is good about fighting off infections, even if your ears seem to get better while taking the hoo doo remedy, make sure to get examined by someone in a white coat with a college degree they didn't print themselves.

The standard for "natural cures" is something like "at least 20 people on a yahoo message board swear by it".

Again, Billions of people for thousands of years is something much different then 20 people on a yahoo message board. Look at the life expectancy in some of the more developed Asian nations. Their doctors use holistic approaches which blend traditional Eastern practices with new Western diagnostic equipment and medicines. Its unbelievable what can be accomplished by incorporating the worlds wealth of healing techniques. India has a similar approach where they blend their own Ayurveda techniques with Asian/Western approaches. Look at the United States medical practitioners! Many of them are from Indian decent which encourage these holistic approaches. To completely dismiss the idea that everything but Western medicine is just superstition and placebo is quite frankly idiotic. Its that idea of my way is the right way and that everyone else is wrong, which continues to spread ignorance and prejudice throughout this great country.

The reason the mystical mold/herb/garlic oil I am using isn't being sold to me by someone in a labcoat is because they aren't trained or educated in that form of healing. Personally the thought of pouring garlic oil into my ear sounded strange, but after some research it is widely accepted that garlic does have some infection fighting properties. I'm still not going to rush out to buy me a bottle, but many "hippie" techniques do have scientific backing.

You mentioned Penicillin. That is a perfect example of a "natural" fungi which has done wonders. Just because it was evaluated by the FDA and is prescribed by "western" doctors doesn't mean its a safe or proven medicine. It took years of study and treatments for it to be considered one of best bacterial infection fighters. This is the same with many Eastern herbs and medicines. There are some strange ones out there, don't get me wrong. But most of them have been able to treat ailments effectively for many people "again for thousands of years". Don't dismiss the idea that other cultures healing techniques don't have merit and truth, just because their practitioners are not in nice white lab coats and have prestigious western medicine degrees. You'll be missing out.

Last edited:
Again, Billions of people for thousands of years

1. thought the world was flat
2. thought the sun revolved around the earth
3. thought the sky was solid

These would all be great zingers if it meant anything at all. World population didn't reach 1 billion until 1804. World population now is less than 7 billion. I doubt you can show that more than 2 billion people this year are buying any single herbal remedy on the market or even a vitamin C supplement.

If the fake doctors were wrong by this order of magnitude when they told you about the billions of users, it makes you wonder how they would be qualified to recommend any form of medical treatment at all.

Thousands of years ago, mankind thought diseases were caused by demons and spirits. They sacrificed their babies to cure illnesses, did weird dances, performed exotic rituals, and yes, even ate random plants. However, their life expectancies were still terrible. You could say, we've learned a few things since then. Well, some of us have.

Roughly 4 billion people in Asia today "almost 60% of the worlds population". Many Eastern medications date back thousands of years, out of all the people which have used them in the past and have used them today, there has been Billions. Again your logic is flawed. For a medication to continue throughout many millenia there has to be some merit to them. I won't argue that as westerners some of their practices may seem kooky, but quite a few of their medicines and treatments work quite well. I don't care how much a placebo can convince the human psyche that they are getting better, but when all my family members and friends are laid out because of flu and I'm fine... that's all the proof I need. This wasn't just one case, it has happened many times when I and others directly around me have been able to beat a sickness before it takes hold using purely Chinese herb formulas and high doses of vitamins. You keep using the term fake doctors and its direct proof of your unwillingness to open your mind to alternative thought. I can see your adamant about your position and I won't debate with you further. But maybe you should research these "fake treatments, medicines and doctors" before you judge them. Obviously from what you've stated already, you are completely in the dark about the proven studies and clinical trials done which support quite a few of these "fake" medicines. I am one who likes to use all paths to a healthy body and mind. I have found that a holistic medical approach, encompassing a wide variety of techniques has worked greatly for myself. I will not denounce any one technique because I believe they all have there place. You too should not be so quick to judge that which is unknown to you.

Back
Top Bottom