help! need info mayan riviera/ playa del carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regtech17

Reaction score
Hello

We were headed for our honeymoon in Cuba until Hurricane Ivan cancelled our trip. Our Travel agent booked us at the Viva Wyndham maya because of scuba facilities nearby. Can anyone direct us where to go and what dive operators are worth looking into. We leave Saturday night so it's doesn't give us much time to look into. Obviously Cozume is on the list. Any info positive or negative will be helpful.

Thanks

I'm supposed to be going to the Caymans tomorrow, but that's not happening given Ivan. I'm considering other dive destinations if we can't get to the Caymans this weekend and had thought about Cozumel. BUT, I decided against it b/c there's a risk, I think, that Ivan will veer west and hit the Cozumel area. Am I wrong about that?

Sorry about your diverted honeymoon! We are about to go to the RM for our honeymoon, too, we will be there the same week as you! I cannot comment on which dive ops out of Cancun are better than others, but not all places have their own shops. We are staying at the Secrets Capri, which does have its own dive shop. They say they can take us to cenotes and to Cozumel if we want, but otherwise, I am assuming it's mostly just local, offshore stuff.
I know I am not much help, but it's all I can do at the moment. Have a great honeymoon! :D

Sorry about you having to change plans at the last minute. ISince you are staying in Playa del Carmen, this are my suggestions:

Playa del Carmen: Dive Mike (www.divemike.com) or Tank-Ha
Puerto Morelos: Dive Puerto Morelos - probably the better choice and Puerto Morelos is only about 10 - 15 min drive from your hotel Talk to Cat Brown. www.divepuertomorelos.com

Cenotes: www.hiddenworlds.com They are great, I spent a week with them and will go back for another two weeks in the spring.

Or, if you want to rent a car and drive, Akumal Dive Shop (jesus@akumal.com) they are in Akumal where the better dive sites are, but it is a 30 min drive from your hotel going south.

good luck and have a great trip.

Maria

Hi,

Sorry about Ivan cancelling your Cuba plans :(.

You are staying right in my neck of the woods, if you are interested in any cenote (cavern dives) I am still offering my 2 for 1 special for anyone from scubaboard. This also includes pick up at your hotel. So far I have met many people from Scubaboard and we have had a great time. Check out www.diablodivers.com

Since your resort is in Playacar - a sub division of Playa del carmen, I would recommend that for your ocean dives to use Abyss ( www.abyssdiveshop.com ) They run a great operation.

Other than them, I run my boat diving out of Puerto Aventuras which is located 20 kms south of Playacar.

Diving Around Playa Del Carmin Is Ok But Is Well Worth The Ferry Boat Ride To Cozumel. Diving At Cozumel Is So Much Better. Tank-ha At Playa Del Carmin Is A Good Shop. If You Dive Cozumel, Staff Divers Is A Good Shop That Is Within A Short Walk From The Ferry.

I like tank ha out of Playa--they offer local dives, have their own boat to Cozumel and do cenotes. They also can arrange hotels (we like Club Maeva Tulum)--try tankha.com.

Greg

scubachica:
I'm supposed to be going to the Caymans tomorrow, but that's not happening given Ivan. I'm considering other dive destinations if we can't get to the Caymans this weekend and had thought about Cozumel. BUT, I decided against it b/c there's a risk, I think, that Ivan will veer west and hit the Cozumel area. Am I wrong about that?
I was just reading a thread in the Cozumel Forum about the edge of Ivan already causing uneasiness in Cozumel. You can read it by clicking here>>http://www.scubaboard.com/t71696-.html

sharkdiver00:
Sorry about you having to change plans at the last minute. ISince you are staying in Playa del Carmen, this are my suggestions:

Playa del Carmen: Dive Mike (www.divemike.com) or Tank-Ha
Puerto Morelos: Dive Puerto Morelos - probably the better choice and Puerto Morelos is only about 10 - 15 min drive from your hotel Talk to Cat Brown. www.divepuertomorelos.com

Cenotes: www.hiddenworlds.com They are great, I spent a week with them and will go back for another two weeks in the spring.

Or, if you want to rent a car and drive, Akumal Dive Shop (jesus@akumal.com) they are in Akumal where the better dive sites are, but it is a 30 min drive from your hotel going south.

good luck and have a great trip.

Maria
I can also personally recommend Dive Puerto Morelos. We dove with them in May. Smaller operation with good personal attention and good people.

I dove with Dive Puerto Morelos, just a few weeks ago. I also had a very good experience with them, and I definitely recommend them.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom