Help - my son is 13 in february and we are diving in Belize on Dec 21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are considering Placencia, I suggest you dive with us. We are definitely kid friendly. I became a dive instuctor so I could teach my kids and grandkids to dive. Patty ramirez, the owner of Spash Dive Shop runs a program where she teaches local kids whose parents can't afford to diving lessons so we have lots of experience. Based on my experience working with her on the kids program, I became an investor in her dive shop.
Regards
Ralph

If you are considering Placencia, you should consider Splash Dive shop as it is definitely kid friendly. I became an instructor so I could teach my kids and grandkids to dive. Patty Ramirez was runs a program to teach local kids whose parents can't afford to pay for dive lessons and as a result of helping her with that program, decided to invest in her dive shop.
Regards
Ralph

Just got back from a week and a bit on Belize Aggressor and Ambergris Caye. There were lots of folks with children and teens vacationing on AC and depending on the teen and where you stayed, they probably wouldn't get bored. Tons and tons of dive operators to choose from.

I really like Ambergris Caye and will definitely go back. Highly recommend the mixed jerk platter at Jambal's Jerk Pit.

Belize City is not a place to go wandering you know. We flew from BC airport to AC on local shuttles. Ensure that you coordinate safe transfer plans with your final arrangements, ASAP.

'safe transfer plans'? That sounds a little extreme. You're very safe transferring to Tropic Air (same international terminal as American Airlines or a taxi ride to the municipal air strip) or taking a cab to the water taxi terminal (I don't think you can even make a reservation for that).

We flew Tropic Air out of the International terminal to AC, and then back to the municipal strip. We had reservations, but many folks just walked up, bought a ticket and got on a plane. If the Tropic plane is full, you can wait an hour, or try Mayan Air. Even though we had reservations on a later plane, they just jammed us on the next flight. Tropic Air rocks.

Belize City is pretty safe during the day if you stick to the open areas and the main business street downtown. I wouldn't wander down there at night. It's just not interesting at all, and parts of downtown stink. There are also a lot of grifters and beggars that hang out by the water taxi terminal, the park by the bank and in front of Broadies. By day they are harmless and there are lots of cops and security guards around.

That's the first time I have seen anyone say that Belize City is safe. Okaaaay.

I'm staying at Paradise Villas....close to town.... There is a dive shop right there....I think it is called Reef Adverntures... What is the going rate for a 2 tank dive w/ rental?

Help...my son and I are newly certified and he will be 13 in February.

Sorry, Kornfeld -- your son will be a teenager, and there is NOTHING you or anyone else can do about it . . .

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :popcorn:

gkornfeld--
my husband and I are visiting AC for the second time in a bit over a year. Great island, awesome diving and interesting town-San Pedro. I would not worry, the Belezian people are amazingly polite and tolerant. Aside from the kids hustling for $$$$ everywhere, there is no issue. Great diving also--PM me if you want dive op info. We'll also be there over Christmas week!

My one trip to Ambergris Caye was several years ago but I doubt that it has changed too much. Seemed like a great place, and easy to get to from Belize City by air shuttle without leaving the airport. I don't think I have ever seen anyone book a flight to Belize City without a destination in mind, but that should work very well.

And as a couple of :newbie:s, let me suggest that every day that you hire a private DM to dive with you two will be money well spent. I assume that y'all have at least the middle DAN dive insurance plan as well as surface signaling devices like sausages, mirrors, storm whistles, etc each. Have a great and safe trip.

I visited an office in central Belize City recently, and afterwards (at 11am on a weekday) I wanted to get to the bus station to visit the zoo. The office wouldn't let me walk to the bus station, a 20 minute walk, as they said it has now become too dangerous to walk in some areas (that being one of them) even during the working day. They also said it was best to use a known taxi rather than just walk into the street and hail one. Given that the office, like many others, has an armed guard inside the door who only unlocks the door after he's identified whoever wants to enter, I took their advice.

I can't help you with specific Belize info but I have a suggestion. My 12 year old was certified this April and we dove Bonaire and Bermuda. No issues with the age. You may want to check on tank sizes. Both places we dove in Bonaire and Bermuda had smaller tanks, 63s and 50s and xxs bcds. Other than the equipment, we had no issues. Just call ahead regarding tank sizes and any other equipment you may be renting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom