Help me with planning a dream trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about livaboards?
If you like diving and you are really going because of the diving, a LOB is the way to go. Usually you are the first to dive the site in the morning because you are so close and it's just a short 10-15 min ride on the skiff... And it is soooo peaceful anchored in a cove and waking up on the water. LOBs aren't for everyone but it's a great way to dive and stay away from "crowds". You do have to live in tighter quarters with the same people for a while but there's plenty of room on the boat for your own space. Hard to know if you will love it until you do it unfortunately...

My first LOB was Palau Siren and I would go back in a heartbeat. Only time I lifted a tank was when it was on my back... After the dive, fresh juice and a towel were waiting for me. I'd take off my wetsuit and someone would take it and rinse it out and hang it to dry. It would be brought back and put at my "station" when I was ready for the next dive. There was always a snack after diving and plenty of food during meals. The diving, of course, was great! There were always 4 dives planned for the day. For most people, that is plenty of diving. That's a full day considering you have to fit in breakfast, lunch and dinner... And a power nap! There were several other first time LOB divers in my group and all are going back to do another LOB in Raja Ampat. I'll probably be going with them.

Wondering what you thought of the La Galigo?

I liked it. The 12-day Ultimate Raja trip last December-January was one of the best liveaboard trip I ever had, right up there with the Bali-Komodo trip I made with Mermaid I. It has Nitrox & comfortable cabin with ensuite bath room, cool AC, great food, great spotter & photographer DM, Fendy from Manado (pointed me a Halimeda ghost pipefish & blue-ringed octopus in one dive spot, Arborek Jetty). He won some underwater photography contest with his Canon G15. That's why I'm chartering the liveaboard for my next trip crossing from Ambon to Sorong. You can read more about it in this thread that I posted a few months ago: One space on La Galigo Liveaboard to Banda & Raja Ampat in Nov 2017 with 15% discount

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom