Help me, Swampsters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deadeye

Reaction score
Yeah, I've read lots of threads about the Carribbean and places to go, so now I'm even more confused.

I'm going somewhere down there in November around the 10th through the 16th.

Here's where I need your help -- where's the VERY BEST place for a first trip? No, not the most expensive or the least expensive, but the place where I'll get good value for my dollar and enjoy the hell outta myself scuba diving and sightseeing.

I've looked at some stuff about Belize and it looks neat, but I've heard so much about other places. I saw a place which has a three bedroom 'penthouse' if 6 divers go and they get a 'private' dive boat to use. I know there's only going to be two of us, but who knows, right?

So give me you honest opinion and try to narrow it down to the very best FIRST place to go.

Deadeye (Terry)

Roatan, Honduras. Namely CoCo View Resort.

For a beginner it's great because of the excellent shore diving available. Just a short stroll off the beach into the water and you're at the beginning of the reef. It slowly gets deeper where you'll find the wreck of the Prince Albert at 60ft. to the left is the beginning of CoCo View Wall and straight ahead is the beginning of Neumann's Wall. I can do a whole weeks worth of diving starting right there! And since there is air available 24/7, I sometimes do just that! Normally minimal currents in this area.

There is also two 2-tank boat dives a day. The currents on the site for the boat dives are mild and most sites are within 10-15 min. from the resort.

The resort is nothing fancy, think of it as dive camp! But the rooms are nice, the water is hot and the sheets are clean. =;^) The resort is owned and was developed by divers for divers so as you can imagine, diving has a priority there. Meal times and activities are arranged around boat schedules. It's an all inclusive resort and you'll run tabs in the bar, gift shop, dive shop, etc. Other than that the only money you'll need is $25 per person departure tax at the airport when you leave.

As I said there is unlimited air available 24/7. Also unlimited Nitrox for $100, which is a deal after 16 dives. ($6 per tank) The dive boats are 50ft. long and specially designed for divers. A full boat is 16-18 divers but even if it's full you'll never feel crowded...we've seldom ever had a full boat.

If you have any questions, please ask!

CoCo View Resort

Thanks so much for the dive trip lead! After your introduction I visited the CoCo View Resort WWW page......and it sounds like a lot of bang-for-the-buck.
I'm a new diver, but I'm not into the tourist-trap-night-life hub-bub.....I want a low-key small place that 100% serious about pure diving......and a place a bit more off the beaten path than Cozumel....plus I'm nervous about the substantial currents there, I don't feel up to drift-diving just yet, just want calm, relaxed, but abundant, easy diving......so it sounds like Roatan is just such a place!

Karl

hi...i just got back last month from a trip to st thomas and st john, US Virgin Islands.

Some advantages to consider since this will be your first dive in that area. First of all you can stay at the Rennaisance hotel for $98 a night if you have AAA and a couple other orgs. It is part of the Marriot system so it isnt shabby at all. There is a dive shop associated with the hotel called the Chris Sawyer dive shop. He has a web site. I did three dives with him and they were just fine. You would also be walking distance from KOKI beach where you can do unlimited shore dives. It is average but if you dive a lot of quarries it is dang decent. Now all this is on St. Thomas.

A big advantage is you can catch a ferry to St. John and dive all those beeches if you like. There is a dive shop near where the ferry will drop you in St John and you can rent a car there on St John as well. The car will run about $60 a day. It is sooooo much easier to drive there than on St. Thomas. And, the beaches are almost deserted in the off season. About 95% of St. John is a national park so the crowds just arent there.

Just about anywhere you pick will be good. Take care..and good luck.

I'm sure there are several places you could go and have a good trip. I've not been to Roatan, but it sounds like a great place...definately on my list of must do dives. I would imagine, it would have the "feel" of being paradise more so than Cozumel, as does Belize.

I went to Belize (Ambergris Caye) with only 6 dives in the logbook and had a great time. The waves breaking at the barrier reef can be a bit intimidating at first, but it's not too bad. It was one of the best times I've ever had. Ambergris Caye really feels like paradise...more so than Cozumel. Although, I love Cozumel. Coz feels more like the type of living you get accustomed to in the states. San Miguel is a very charming little town with many great restaurants.
You can do a search to read my Belize trip report.
If you consider Belize, You might look into hooking up with Gaz Cooper. He's a member of this board. He has a dive shop in Ambergris Caye and I've read alot of good things about him and his op. Being a fellow scubaboarder, I'm sure he would take extra good care of you.

Just one other thing I wanted to say. Scubafanatic, I wouldn't worry too much about the currents in Cozumel. I've only been twice, but I've made about 20 dives at most of the popular dive sites and I didn't find the currents too intimidating at all. I know they can change on you from time to time, and I would have to make alot more dives to really be up on the conditions there, but of all the dives I have made at Coz, I have never once found the currents to be any kind of problem. Some of the currents are a little more swift at some of the locations (like down around Palancar), but I actually liked the currents. They just kind of move you along. You kinda just kick back and enjoy the dive..You don't really have to fin at all. You just let the current move you along the reef with little physical effort on your part. If your not comfortable with the swim thru's, you can just go over the top of them.

There are alot of good dive ops there, although I've dived only with the Dive House(which is a good op) on every dive I've done there. They were pretty adamant about not letting anyone go below about 80' and if anyone went deeper, they promptly went and retrieved them and brought them back to 80'. So as long as you do your research and get with a good dive op, pay attention to the pre-dive breifing, stay mindful of what your doing, and don't stray too far from the DMs, you would probably do fine at Coz.

..Just my two cents...

I've been back about 3 weeks now from a 16 day trip to Roatan and that would be my pick hands down... Very fun place to dive lots to see!!

Cozumel is known for it's drift diving, which means currents. But since you drift with the current, from mild to wild, there's no concern about having to swim against a current. Yes, there will be times when you may have to go a short distance against or across a current but not often and not very far.

The drift diving in Coz is also called live boat diving since the dive boat isn't anchored or moored in any way. While you are diving, the boat is following your bubbles. So anytime you surface, the boat will be very nearby to pick you up. That's the reason most of the DM's will send buddy teams to the surface when one gets low on air and will continue the dive with the other divers.

But as much as I love Cozumel, Roatan is still my favorite place. They are both such different experiences that there's no way to compare them to each other.

I'm watering at the mouth to go to Roatan, but the person I'm going with isn't as crazy about diving, diving, diving as I am, so it looks like Coz is the choice so other options than diving will be available. (Dee let me know next time you and Beast are going to Roatan, you may get a tag-along).

So with Coz the choice -- where's the best place? And this time I want the best dive options since I compromised on the trip.

Terry (Deadeye)

Deadeye once bubbled...
I'm watering at the mouth to go to Roatan, but the person I'm going with isn't as crazy about diving, diving, diving as I am, so it looks like Coz is the choice so other options than diving will be available. (Dee let me know next time you and Beast are going to Roatan, you may get a tag-along).

So with Coz the choice -- where's the best place? And this time I want the best dive options since I compromised on the trip.

Terry (Deadeye)

Our annual CCV/Roatan trip is April 12-19 and I have one double room left. Get you and roomie and come with us!

We've always enjoyed ElCid/LaCeiba hotel in Coz. It changed owners about a year ago but it's still pretty nice, you just have to ignore the timeshare hawkers. Casa Del Mar, Costa Club, and Plaza Las Glorias are also very nice. ElCid and PLG are on the ocean side of the road and have docks in front and great shore diving. CDM and CC are across the street but are just a short walk across the pavement to the docks and shore diving. These are all also in the medium price range, within a couple miles from town yet far enough away to avoid the cruise ship crowds. Although you will probably deal with them at ElCid/LaCeiba because the cruise ship pier is right next door.

My favorite dive op is Caballito del Caribe. We've been using them for 6+ years. Small, fast boats, excellent DM's, you dive your own profile is my preference. A new one (about a year old) that is getting very high reviews is Living Underwater. Steel tanks, long bottom times and advanced diving seems to be their biggest draw. I plan to try them on our next trip. Another all round good dive op is Papa Hogs. You can't go wrong with any of those.

Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom