Help me select my first set of gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Untoldfox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some guidance!

Every site, every person, every forum says something else, one thing is better to get and another piece of gear you better stay away from, so on and so forth!

I've been searching some online scuba sites for gear and I find when you buy there "packages" you get the best price. I started by looking at there cheapest gear because at first I wanted to learn to scuba just to toy around at my family cabin and such, and the more I read the more I'll probably want to get into cold water ocean dives off the coast of Vancouver, Canada, which means I need a sealed first stage, and a dry suit.

These are some of the packages I've been looking at: would any of these suffice? I'm looking in the >$1000 range.

$700 - I've read some good things about the prestige 12s
Package 1

$779.80 SILHOUETTE DIVE SYSTEM (near the bottom of the page)
Package 2

$999.95 AVID MAGNUM 2011 DIVE SYSTEM (Above the Silhouette system)
Package 3

$870 Get wet package - I was told the Regulator can be up graded for around 100 dollars for cold water (only package from Canada, Where I'm from)
Package 4

If none of these packages work, could you please list a few I should look into?

Would you mind posting some dry suits I should look into? and companies I should stay away from that would be fantastic! ($800-$1300)

There is just far to much to read about every piece of equipment! I need a place to start

Thank you so much!

I'm a newbie, but here's some stuff I learned while getting my gear.

1. Don't just go and buy gear that people suggest (or that's cheap or that your local dive shop has). Try it out (through rentals at different dive shops). Personal preferences are vastly different.

2. Do your research...a lot. ScubaBoard is a great site for that. I also like Scuba Gear Reports and the user reviews on LeisurePro.
- I kind of wish I had waited before getting a lot of stuff (e.g., I would have preferred a back inflation now rather than a jacket BCD; using non-split fins but bought splits; prefer a self-donning drysuit that's a bit more pricey), but I got it often because of pressure and price.

3. Don't underestimate used gear.
- If I had waited a short while or done research on Craigslist, UsedVictoria (for Victoria), I could have gotten so much better deals for great gear. While buying my accessories (after I had already bought the BCD/Regs), I found so many great deals for nearly new gear from people quitting scuba. People quit all the time with all their gear.
- Some of this gear is nearly top-of-the-line (or at least pretty good) but for half the costs of retail/online.

4. Consider buying the essentials from a trusted local dive shop (i.e., probably only the regulator/octo set)
- This helps build a relationship, AND they know how to fix it well. It'll cost a bit more, though.

Let me make this clear. This is the newbie perspective on things. Use these as maybe a guideline.

As for drysuits, I use a Bare Nex-Gen Pro, which I love, except for the rear entry. You can get that for $1200, but I got a sweet deal. I've used the White's Fusion. Impeccable front-entry suit, but $2300.

A great starting point is ScubaBoard or just asking your local dive shop about the gear (while being wary about them trying to sell you stuff).

Hey Noob!

Thanks for the post! I've been looking on craigslist but sometimes people want more than what I can buy new gear for! A guy is selling a drysuit for $850 on Craigslist and the same one was posted on here for $350, crazy!

Part of the reason I'm asking on here is so I don't go into the local dive shops and get the sales pitch and want what ever they tell me to buy, I really want to be informed!

What make/model Regulator/BCD did you end up buying? I reckon you'll be doing a lot of cold water diving?..

My LDS was having a sale on a BCD/Reg/Octo/Console combo for a great price (equal/less than online). I got it shortly after my OW cert because I was familiar with it (same brands as rental). The BCD is an Aqualung Pro LT, Reg is Aqualung Titan LX (as is first stage), console has a Suunto depth and pressure gauge, octo is Apeks Egress. I love all of it. All of it performs great. If I had to change anything, it'd be the jacket BCD, which is still great (I eventually want a back-inflated BCD.).

I've looked all over, and the Titan LX is a really good reg for cold-water. It's mid-range in price, but it's got great performance (check out the review in the gear review link in the first post).

Usually when I try to gauge prices, I look at online sites like ScubaToys and LeisurePro just for comparisons; they're probably around the cheapest prices for new gear. If you're ordering from the states, keep in mind the customs fees. As well, keep in mind shipping costs to Canada.

Looks like you got a really nice Reg in the Titan LX! May I ask how much the package was at the time? regular, and sale price?

I live in Abbotsford so I ship to my address in the US and declare all my goods, for the most part I never get charged duty. However, I don't mind spending a few more dollars and buying local if its not double the online price!

Hi Untoldfox, I sent you a PM with details about the purchase. I don't want to hijack your thread before some scuba experts weigh in with their answers.

Before commenting on your questions and approach, I will say that any of the packages would be reasonable. There is little difference between them, even where there is ~$200 price difference. You could put four slips of paper, with the package nunmbers on them, in a box, cover you eyes, and pick one and you would be OK. I am not trying to be sarcastic, either. The packages are just that similar. None of them will 'kill you', all of them will function reasonably well for simple recreational diving, I have personal experience with at least one of the individual items in every one of them, and there are no huge red flags. Having said that I wouldn't buy any of them, but that is just me - as I said, gear selection is very personal, and I see no advantage in a package.

The choice depends on other factors, noted below.
Every site, every person, every forum says something else, one thing is better to get and another piece of gear you better stay away from, so on and so forth!
Selection and use of scuba gear is somewhat personal. Therefore, people who like what they have say it is the best, people who don't like what they have tell others to stay away from it, people who have one bad experience with one piece of gear from a manufacturer frequently say the manufacurer's entire line of equipment is lousy, etc. It is like eyewitness identificiation of criminals - somewhat flawed.
I've been searching some online scuba sites for gear and I find when you buy there "packages" you get the best price.
If by 'best' price, you mean the lowest price, then I understand your comment. Frequenly a package contains things that noone really wants, and the retailers want to unload the items, or they get a special deal from a manufacturer who wants to unload an item, before they announce it is discontinued. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the gear, the items are not individually popular. So, put them in a package with one item that is reasonably popular, and away they go out the door.

Three points. 1. If you think you might get serious about diving, there is nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive package to get started. If you do get serious, plan on replacing it in 12 -18 months, not because of wear and tear but because of an evolution in your thinking and gear needs. But, if you decide scuba really isn't your cup of tea, don't expect to be able to sell the package items for anywhere near what you paid. Still, if you drop $800 on a set of gear, use it for a while, and sell it for $125, that's not the end of the world.

2. There is nothing wrong with renting at first, and trying different rigs, as Scuna_Noob mentioned. Also, if you are looking for best price, you really should consider used gear, from Craigslist or eBay or whatever source. Yes, there is always some risk in buying used, but you could pick up a good cold water regulator and a nice back-inflate BCD for less than the package prices you are looking at.

3. Whatever you get should be one or more brands that you can have locally serviced. So, it really would be good to find out what brands you LDS (or multiple LDS) carry. Additional thoughts:
Would you mind posting some dry suits I should look into? and companies I should stay away from that would be fantastic! ($800-$1300)
For that price range your choices are very limited. I will let some of the Seattle / West coast SB'ers comment. I paid about $2K for mine, have used it ten years and am still happy with it. The price is not critical, how it FITS YOU is the key. DUI, DCI, Whites, etc all make good suits, I am not sure how many of them sell a suit (that I would want to buy) for $800. Again, a used suit, that FITS YOU, might be the ticket.
Part of the reason I'm asking on here is so I don't go into the local dive shops and get the sales pitch and want what ever they tell me to buy, I really want to be informed!
And, you don't think what you get in a package from an on-line retailer is a sales pitch? It is the most focused sales pitch you can imagine. They are telling you what is 'best', based entirely on what they want to sell, with no knowledge of you or your interests at all. At least, when you are dealing with a LDS and a 'live' person, you can ask questions, tell them what you really want / are intersted in, and see what they have to say / offer. Yes, they will try to sell you what they have. You have no obligation to buy, unless you are convinced it is right for you.

Thank you for your input Collima7.

I suppose I should have explained myself a bit more in my first post, but you summed my questions up nicely, thank you.

This is some used gear I found online

Used 2 times, 5 years old

(When it comes to scuba gear, is it ok if it sits for 5 years if it was prepped properly, and stored in a friendly environment? What, if anything would have to be serviced? )

1. BC : Mares Aria Dragonfly with extra 10 lb weight
2. Suit : Mares semi-dry suit XL ( hood included), gloves, shoes(10 1/2)
3. Regulator : Apeks ATX200
4. Octopus : Scuba Pro
5. Guage : Suunto Vyper 2 gauge with compass

Bonus : Fish net, Crab Ruler, Hanger

In your opinion, what is this worth? or is it even worth looking into?

What are some good questions to ask sellers?

Thanks for all your help.

(When it comes to scuba gear, is it ok if it sits for 5 years if it was prepped properly, and stored in a friendly environment? What, if anything would have to be serviced?
It is OK to sit, if it was not simply left in an a dark, humid location, where mold and mildew could accumulate. Sounds like that is not an issue.
1. BC : Mares Aria Dragonfly with extra 10 lb weight
2. Suit : Mares semi-dry suit XL ( hood included), gloves, shoes(10 1/2)
3. Regulator : Apeks ATX200
4. Octopus : Scuba Pro
5. Guage : Suunto Vyper 2 gauge with compass
Primary issue - does the BCD and semi-dry suit fit YOU? If so, then go to the next step. It is worth looking into ONLY if the semi-dry suit fits you. Having said that, opinions on semi-dry suits vary. They ARE NOT dry suits. But, if the price for the whole set-up is right, AND, the suit fits you, it wouldn't hurt to have a wetsuit (the semi-dry would serve that purpose), and a drysuit at some future point.

For the regulator, I presume it is an ATX200 2nd stage. Make sure you know what the first stage is - i.e. an Apeks, not simply some no-name 1st stage. That is a good reg, by the way. If it has been in storage for 5 years, that should be serviced.

For the whole set-up, $400. Arguments could me made that it is worth more because of the Vyper 2, and because of the presumed the original cost (probably well over $1500 based on what's in the assortment), etc. But, it is 5 year old gear, none of it is uniquely valuable, and $400 is generous.

If it fits you, and you can buy it for $400, it is worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom