Help me plan my Kaua'i trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I called Fathom Five because their web site mentioned Tunnels and was informed that they do not dive there until May.

Fathom Five told me that night dives are done upon request if there is someone available and they like to have at least two people. SeaSport told me they do night dives on Wednesdays. So, it seems that a night dive is something that may just get done at the last minute if other people are also going out. Thursday evening is the only time I might be able to fit that in.

I'm off to finish up Chapter 5 of the OW manual and take the online assessment. OW certification classes start tomorrow. Yay!

Bummer about Tunnels - I'm going to be there in April (6th - 16th) and was really hoping to dive there.

Have fun during your OW classes tomorrow! I just finished mine last weekend and had a great time!

Quick note to you Karen.....

Waimea Canyon is well over 1,000 feet altitude so you don't want to plan that run after a dive. Just like flying after diving. The canyon is beautiful and worth seeing - you just need to shuffle it around in the schedule a little.

Glad your plans are coming together.

To ssullivan28 and others interested in Tunnels....

Tunnels opens as soon as conditions permit. It's not a date on the calendar so much as a fall off in the seasonal north swells. I have been up there in March at times and certainly in April. Local companies anxiously await the break in swells up there and dive Tunnels asap. If you are booking with Fathom Five - seek out Jeanette Thompson. She is widely regarded as the very best Tunnels guide on the island. She has a couple decades worth of dives up there as well as a passion for that site like no other.

Hope this helps.

A week ago the conditions at Tunnels seemed pretty nice from this picture in the local paper.

Shark shooter

I also did a pair of great Kapalua Bay dives that same day, which is not common in Feb. :)

To ssullivan28 and others interested in Tunnels....

Tunnels opens as soon as conditions permit. It's not a date on the calendar so much as a fall off in the seasonal north swells. I have been up there in March at times and certainly in April. Local companies anxiously await the break in swells up there and dive Tunnels asap. If you are booking with Fathom Five - seek out Jeanette Thompson. She is widely regarded as the very best Tunnels guide on the island. She has a couple decades worth of dives up there as well as a passion for that site like no other.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info AquamanKauai! I'll definitely give Fathom Five a call and try to connect with Jeanette. Hopefully I'll luck out!

Quick note to you Karen.....

Waimea Canyon is well over 1,000 feet altitude so you don't want to plan that run after a dive. Just like flying after diving. The canyon is beautiful and worth seeing - you just need to shuffle it around in the schedule a little.

Glad your plans are coming together.

Dang, didn't think of that. I think I'm just going to stick to the dives I've booked and not worry about doing another Saturday morning. I'd want to do Tunnels if I could, but the main purpose of this trip is to do a little diving, a little sightseeing, lots of photography, a few fruity drinks overlooking the beach :D and relaxing away from work for a few days.

So, now we have this...

Wednesday - Photo tour (East and North shores)
Thursday - Helicopter tour in morning with Jack Harter helicopters, Boat dive in afternoon with SeaSport Divers. After diving, find a place near the beach for dinner and watch the sunset from the south shore somewhere.
Friday - Shore Dive in morning with SeaSport. Beach time in afternoon - soaking up the sun.
Saturday - Waimea Canyon in the morning. Botanical Gardens in the afternoon/evening including the Sunset Allerton Estate tour.
Sunday - Drive up to North shore for some last minute photo ops, fly home in afternoon.

I think I'm done :cool2:

I spent today doing my last pool dive. Next week I'll do four open water dives (I only need two to complete my OW cert, but the entire course is paid for so I might as well do all four).

So, my instructor was talking to my class today about what it takes to get the AOW cert. Sounds very interesting (and tempting).

According to the SeaSport website I could possibly complete my AOW cert on Kauai, or at least finish a few of the classes. If I could do that over two days (Thursday and Friday) It would mean a slight shuffle in my schedule (moving the helicopter tour to Sunday morning) and giving up beach time and a drive to Waimea Canyon (which I'll still see from the helicopter) but if I'm doing diving two days anyway, including a boat dive, it would be nice to get credit for it and what better place than Kauai?

Then again, maybe I should just enjoy my vacation without the added pressure of classes. :idk:

One thing about the canyon, there are a lot of days when it is not worth driving up...that is unless you like fog.

At least look at a Data Mask they have come down in price and will spoil you, the ability to just move your eye to see your pressure and depth is great, even if you wear glasses you will still be able to read the screen. I wear glasses to read and can read the Data Mask without any problem and night dives are great.

Back
Top Bottom