Help me plan a South Padre Island dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm going to S Padre Island in a couple of weeks for work and wanted to see if I could get a dive in while I’m there. I am a very inexperienced diver so beginning level dives are what I’m looking for. I got certified two years ago, dove for one week and haven’t been since.

First off, I assume the Clipper is the best choice. It sounds as if that’s the best diving in the area and the dive can be geared for a beginner level dive. Correct assumption?

Second question, what’s the best dive operator in the area?

Third, is there a way to fly in from Austin to Harlingen and dive the same day? The earliest I could probably get to SPI is around 11am. Is there a dive operator who does late morning/afternoon dives?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The Texas Clipper is a wreck that is 17 miles from shore, in 130' of water. The highest point of the wreck is 62', which exceeds the depth limit for your level of training. Definately not something I would recommend to an open water diver with your level of experience.

I would suggest you look at some advanced training either before you go, or while you are there.

Harlingen is about 30 minutes from South Padre, so it is an easy drive.

twobit and mack, thanks for the responses. I'll call the dive shop and see what other dives would be a better fit.

There are other dives in the area other than the clipper. as suggested call american diving and talk to them. They have worked with many a novice diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom