Help me plan a FL trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about heading to Devils Den around the first week of April. I am trying to find out if the Den is a good spot for a novice and how much diving you can do there (do you see it all on one dive or will it keep us busy for a couple of days).

What other sites are close by?

Are any of the Florida divers interested in meeting up?

Looking forward to your replies.

Chad

Devil's Den is a pretty tame dive. You can see it in one dive, as the entrances to the cave system are closed with bars. Across the highway is another site called "Blue Grotto" that is also a 1 tank dive. They each charge about $27.50. Do the Blue Grotto dive first, as it is a 100 foot max dive and the Den is a 65 foot dive. You should be able to do them both in one day. If you dint feel comfortable with 100 feet, the Grotto has different paths you can follow that go through shallower paths

Devil's Den when I was there had terrible vis, it was early in the morning and only an instructor and student had been in before us. Either they destroyed the vis or it is not crystal clear like they say.

Some of the swim throughs turned into restrictions only one person could fit through which is actually the definition of a cave, not cavern. Once in the swim throughs, sometimes one could not see light, and some of them are actually caves, not barred off.

Blue Grotto is also a low flow cavern with a huge area up front, fairly shallow, and then a back area that goes deep. It is very silty on the walls and floor. Vis there is amazing.

I also went to Ginnie, which has an excellent camp facility if you are into that, beautiful area of cypress trees right on the river, stunning. The cavern dives there are very cool on that level also. The flow is much, much higher, so silt is not really an issue as much.

On any of these make sure your lights work well, good batteries, and have backups. One could get in trouble in any of these. They should all have a cavern definition light source easily seen, but that was a good bit lacking in my opinion.

I also looking for an easy dive in that area beyond the three I mentioned. Something on the cheap side would be cool, but any are welcome. I have read a bit about Troy, any one been there?

Tommy

Vis was off a little this summer due to the drought. Flows were down all over the state. Is that when you were there? It would be pretty difficult to get lost or hurt in any of those, the sections in the overhead are pretty short.

Chad,
Nearly all the Spring dives here are one tank dives, unless you're a caver or just want to blow bubbles. Of the three, I like Ginnie, the Grotto and Devils Den in that order. My favorite spring dive was Weeki Wachee, but they don't allow diving there any more. While you're in that part of Florida, the Rainbow River is a nice trip. I usually snorkel the upper half and dive the lower part. It's a nice day trip. Sharpenu is right, a diver would have to be doing something foolish to get lost in any of these springs. I don't think you can get lost in Ginnie. You could easily dive all three in a couple of days. While you're here, why not plan a Ocean or Gulf dive? It would be worth the money.:tree:Bob

Thanks for the answers so far.

I got on Devils Den's web site. I can't tell what it is near. Is it near any larger cities and how far to the shore?

Thanks agian

Chad

Devil's Den is close to Gainesville (University of Florida). If you were coming for 2-3 days, I would skip Devil's Den. People say Blue Grotto is only worth a tank, but I disagree. I would say that you spend a day doing 2-3 dives in Grotto. Familiarize yourself with the environment, and get to where you are looking at the fine detail, not just the broad cavern. If I can get time, I'll be glad to help.
When you say novice, how novice do you mean?
Further questions about the area? e-mail divesherpa@cavediver.net

- Drive right past Devils Den another 3 hours South to Ft.Meyers. Book yourself a seat on Ultimategetaway.net and spend 3 days diving in the Dry Tortugas.
Bring your Gun and lobster gear..........it's always a good time.

So, Chad, did you enjoy your trip to Florida in 2002... :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom