Help me pick some dives for my first time in Belize!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I wrote awhile back about searching for a dive shop on Caye Caulker on Belize, and I've had a few folks recommend Black Durgon dives, though I haven't been able to get ahold of them just yet. That said, I did want to ask how you all rank your fave spots to dive in the area. My partner and I are still very new with our open water certs (about 8 dives total each). Currently we're considering:

Turneffee North (we hear Elbow is even better but may be a bit more challenging?)
Caye Caulker Marine Reseve
Esmeralda

But we also have heard good things about:
Hol Chan
Half Moon Caye
Spanish Bay

Considering Caulker is our home base, which dives would you recommend for some beginners?

The places you list are not all necessarily single dive sites, but more like areas that can have a variety of sites. You may be able to pick a trip to a certain area if a shop runs more than one boat, or decide to use a different op for a special trip yours doesn't do. (This often happens with trips such as lighthouse/half moon/blue hole, that are longer and better done with a larger boat.) You may have a chance to request sites. But realize that typically you go where the boat goes that day. Sometimes there is a loose schedule like Monday is X and Tuesday is Y etc. An op will also pick sites based on conditions, the divers on board, or a need to change their minds when they get to a site because another boat is already on the mooring (though the ops may coordinate to avoid that, which would feed into that schedule.)

So I guess what I'm saying is, enjoy the research and learn about the spots you might go to, but don't get too worried about picking the best or perfect sites at this point. You're new, it will all be great!

The dives way far from Ambergris were far better than those close by. But all the dives were good nonetheless.

I was there as a freshly OW-Diver in 2018 with no more than 8 dives logged. I went with Black Durgon Divers and let them choose the best spot. As previously been pointed out the locals know where to go when!
I really enjoyed my dives at San Pedro with lots of nurse shark encounters. As a new diver that was super exciting!
My friends did a DSD with Blue Wave Divers and were really happy too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom