help me pick a 3/2 wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jisou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
alright, this is probably a common type of concern/question, but i need help.

the last couple of times i've gone diving, the water has been cool enough to merit a wetsuit. i don't have one so have had to borrow. it's no fun.

i stopped at a dive shop the other day and they had $300 3/2 parkway wetsuits on sale for $170. apparently parkway has gone out of business.. i had been thinking it was $130 and finally talked myself into buying it and couldn't do it when i saw i was off by $40. now i see maybe parkway wasn't good to start out..

now i'm going back and forth.. i'm going this weekend and would like to have a wetsuit. my boyfriend pointed out an o'neill reactor 3/2 wetsuit for $99 in a catalog.. he said o'neill is a very good brand.
link to ll bean product info

if i can get away with buying the o'neill, i'd be happy to do it. but is $100 too cheap to get a decent wetsuit? or does it sound good? or should i just get the parkway? or scrap all of the above and go to another dive shop? or or or.. ? what should i be expecting to spend?

i am so bad with decisions. please help.
thanks

stacey

ps - i'm broke and xmas is coming! please keep that in mind!

Go with the O'Neil. I think there is a great deal of hype in some of the selling points of the newer wetsuits and their technologies, especially at the current costs.
Buy the wetsuit for $100. If it doesn't perform as you expect, all you've lost is $100.
I purchased a 2/3 Neo-Sport from Divers Supply for $80 and it's done a wonderful job in temps down to about 65F. I can purchase 4 of those for the price of a Henderson or others . . .

Stacey,

Look here for a really inexpensive wetsuit:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Wetsuits_Womens.asp

about halfway down the page you'll find Neosport Full 3/2 Jumpsuit Womens for $79.

Neosport is a second label for Henderson. It will treat you fine and once you're in the water you won't know the difference. The only advantages the more expensive wetsuits give you is that they are easier to don and doff.

James

I've found these for about $120.

For the money, it's a deal. The superstretch neo is similiar to Hendersons Hyperstretch. The material basically streaches 250% in all directions, according to the manufacture.

They are ALSO suppose to not have the compression issues at depth of standard material.

This will all remain to be seen as I'm telling my wife this is what I want for XMAS, so I have not tried one.

I have dove O'Neill 7mm suits. They worked very well, but were a bit hard to get into and out of. I tried on a Henderson Superstretch and it was much nicer to wear, and less restrictive, however I did not dive it...

For the $$$ I decided against the Henderson which was like $400 at the LDS, but I did like the streach material. I've read VERY good things about the Harvy's stretch suits, but even on LP they are in the $200 range. Tilios got good reviews on a few boards (including this one) so that what I will get....

Ron

jisou:
alright, this is probably a common type of concern/question, but i need help.

the last couple of times i've gone diving, the water has been cool enough to merit a wetsuit. i don't have one so have had to borrow. it's no fun.

i stopped at a dive shop the other day and they had $300 3/2 parkway wetsuits on sale for $170. apparently parkway has gone out of business.. i had been thinking it was $130 and finally talked myself into buying it and couldn't do it when i saw i was off by $40. now i see maybe parkway wasn't good to start out..

now i'm going back and forth.. i'm going this weekend and would like to have a wetsuit. my boyfriend pointed out an o'neill reactor 3/2 wetsuit for $99 in a catalog.. he said o'neill is a very good brand.
link to ll bean product info

if i can get away with buying the o'neill, i'd be happy to do it. but is $100 too cheap to get a decent wetsuit? or does it sound good? or should i just get the parkway? or scrap all of the above and go to another dive shop? or or or.. ? what should i be expecting to spend?

i am so bad with decisions. please help.
thanks

stacey

ps - i'm broke and xmas is coming! please keep that in mind!

I don't think I'd put much money into a 3/2. They're thin enough that even an ordinary suit is easy to get into and out of -- can't imagine needing hyperstretch or a nonstick lining or anything special like that. I have an older US Divers 3/2 made of standard neoprene and it does everything I need.

For a 7mm, I think the extra money for hyperstretch/everflex would be worthwhile. I have a SeaQuest 7mm made out of standard neoprene, and it's like wresting a giant squid just to shimmy into the thing. It's warm and comfortable once I'm in it, but I'd love to replace it just to make life easier for myself.

But I guess I don't consider $120 a lot of money for a 3mm suit. I agree, and I'm not going to spend in the $200 range when suits can be had in the $100 range.

Something to take into consideration is that I may get a 5mm vest with hood, and then wear the 3mm over that for colder dives. So the streach material is good if one plans on combining exposure suits.

I don't get cold that easy, so this will depend on if the 5mm vest is a lot less expensive vs. just a full 7mm suit. Renting at $10 or less a day is also an option for a cold suit, as really if one get's into that type of diving a dry suit desirable.

Ron

MakoMermaid:
I don't think I'd put much money into a 3/2. They're thin enough that even an ordinary suit is easy to get into and out of -- can't imagine needing hyperstretch or a nonstick lining or anything special like that. I have an older US Divers 3/2 made of standard neoprene and it does everything I need.

For a 7mm, I think the extra money for hyperstretch/everflex would be worthwhile. I have a SeaQuest 7mm made out of standard neoprene, and it's like wresting a giant squid just to shimmy into the thing. It's warm and comfortable once I'm in it, but I'd love to replace it just to make life easier for myself.

I'm really happy with my BARE 3/2. The thing that made me go with BARE other than the really cool color (just kidding) was there sizing options. Ex. I was able to get an XLT which fits great.

Good Luck

We like the NeoSport 3/2 jumpsuit -- we have four. ScubaToys in Dallas gives excellent service. We stop by during our Half Price Bookstores trips, about 4-5 hours one-way, and usually walk out with something we just couldn't live without. My husband also has the NeoSport two-piece 7-mil. It's tough to get into, but it does the job for him.
One of our local dive shops went out of business, and I got a "regular" Henderson two-piece 3-mil, which has a little more give, but not like the Gold Core or the Hyperstretch. I go by the dollar store and get nylons. A pair will make the legs slip on like a dream, and it takes a while before the stockings completely rip up.
As much as I like ScubaToys, scuba.com also carries two-piece wetsuits and will sell the jackets and farmer janes separately. This might be an option before my Tenkiller dives this spring.

I just got O'Neill's 3000 GBS 3/2. It's probably expensive ( I got mine through a shop I work for), but made very much better than even O'Neill's other suits.

I replaced a Body Glove which was cheap enough, but not a good deal. The fit put the zipper right into the base of my neck and no adjusting, folding, cussing etc. could make it comfortable. It lasted only a couple of years before the neoprene just collapsed. Everyone I know who owns O'Neills like them.

Good Luck,
Dennis

Be careful of the O'Neils wetsuit. My roomate has a 7mm and absolutely loves it. He was looking at getting a 3/2 and was looking at the site you were as well. He called O'Neil and was told by their reps that the suits on that site are not meant for diving. They were strictly used for surface activities like paddling and surfing. They said that at depth the wetsuit would compress, but it would not regain its form when you surfaced. Just a little info from O'Neill, Hope it might help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom