Help me find a dive location+resort (3rd time in Philippines)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've made the trip to PG twice in the last two years. I'll probably head back there sometime again in the future as the last two trips weren't the best for me due to mostly weather and picking a not so nice place to stay and so so dive op. The first year we were blown out of the water by a typhoon the day after Christmas and this past year we made a last second decision to go there and the choice of resorts was rather limited. We were only going to be there for like four nights so I picked a rather cheap place which was my bad and the dive op really limited our dive times. The weather was also not the best--rainy, windy and choppy seas meant less than ideal visibility. If you plan on going there and to Dumaguete I'd suggest going to PG first as it's a straight shot down to Batangas pier (from Manila) and the bankas going to PG--about four hours depending on traffic (including the banka trip over). You can take the public bus down to Batangas or have your resort arrange a private pickup for you which will cost you a lot more than the bus but it may be worth the cost for the convenience. I took the bus both times to Batangas--no problems. As far as resorts go--most are located in Sabang--many options and price ranges to choose from--many with their own dive shops. I'm sure you can find many suggestions here on this forum. If you're flying internationally into Cebu instead of Manila that's a totally different bag of worms to get to PG. Good luck in your adventures!

We have always stayed on Apo itself. Not that much into muck, and we love Apo’s colour and variety. Walking into the water from the dive shop and 20 seconds later dropping down a fabulous wall is my idea of heaven. You do have to be prepared for a ride in a smallish bangka to get to the island, dipper baths and lights out/power off at 9:30; at least, that was still the case when last we visited in 2013. There are easily four or five days’ worth of dive sites, maybe not seven.

With only a week, you don’t want to do any transfers that involve a flight, so if you want to add a second spot, there are choices: ferrying from Dumaguete to either Bohol, Siquijor or Santander/Liloan (for a transfer to Moalboal). Or driving (long drive) to Sipalay.

@FT thanks, do you happen to remember which resort you stayed in?

Liberty’s Lodge. They took care of our transfer from Dumaguete airport as well.

I'm actually looking into PG as weel, since I'll have to make my way from Dumaguete to New Delhi. Any recommendations for dive resort mid range with good food will be really appreciated!

I've had great stays and dives with Blue Ribbon Resort in PG. They usually offer great deals in the summer for dive and stay.

If youre looking for another destination near Dumaguete I'm a big fan of Siquijor island. Great quiet beaches and calm water. Easy shore diving. I prefer it to Dauin as I'm not a big fan of muck diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom