Help me figure out what to order?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the homestretch now, ready to order my Fusion. This will be the first Fusion to come through my local dive shop, so no one there has any experience with this suit yet.

This is what I know I want:

-2xl/3xl
-Tech skin only
-Pockets
-Dry gloves

This is what I'm unsure of:

-Mk2 or Mk3, I'm leaning towards the Mk2, because I tend to be a little hot blooded as it is, and figure I can always layer up if I have to.
-Evo or Alterra, Leaning towards the Evo on this one. They look like they have a lot more support. I don't do a ton of shore dives, but when I do, the entries are NEVER nice sandy beach entries.
-What hood comes in the package?
-Softsocks. I've never used a drysuit with softboots before, I assume these go inside the suit?

Any suggestions or corrections would be appreciated.

Jim

I have a fusion and I am sure that your waters are much colder than mine, but for diving in 42* - 48* (fahrenheit) that I have had the fusion in so far I was fine with the MK2 and a layer of Poly Pro cold weather long underware under the MK2. If you run warm I would stick with the MK2 and just layer if you need it. If you go with the MK3 and you get hot well you are stuck.

As far as the drygloves go I assume that you are talking about getting the Whites drygove rings. I saw them for the first time this past weekend I personally do not like them (sorry guys). You need someone else to lock them on for you, and the one person that I talked to about his said that he has problems with them a lot. I have Viking Bayonet rings on my Fusion and love them. I did my first dives with them this past weekend. If you talk to Bob3 on this site he has great prices on the rings.

My suit did not come with a hood so I am no help there. I bought a XS scuba 7mm dry suit hood for mine and I love it...

I have the Altera boots and they are extremely easy to put on and take off but they do not offer much in the way of ankle support. If you are doing beach entries I would stick with the Evo boot.

My experience with the Fusion has been pretty limited so far. I have only done about 8 dives in it but so far I really love the suit. I have had many compliments on it as well, and a lot of intrigue from fellow divers.

I would be interested in knowing what you think about the Tech skin once you get your suit. I have the lycra skin but I really think that I want to buy the tech skin but I have not head much about it yet. So you will have to let everyone know about it once you get it...

I hope I offered some help...

Phil

Well I think I'll hold off on the White's drygloves to start with and have a look see what else is available after I get the suit in. I'm still a little on the fence for the boots, most of my diving is boat dives, but I do some shore dives and the Evo's might be nicer for those. As for the softsocks, do they go under or over the suit?

I'll be sure to post a full report about the Tech Skin when everything comes in. Speaking of which, Tyler, are you guys still on track to have 2xl/3xl tech skins ready for the 15th?

Jim

I'm in the homestretch now, ready to order my Fusion. This will be the first Fusion to come through my local dive shop, so no one there has any experience with this suit yet.

This is what I know I want:

-2xl/3xl
-Tech skin only
-Pockets
-Dry gloves

This is what I'm unsure of:

-Mk2 or Mk3, I'm leaning towards the Mk2, because I tend to be a little hot blooded as it is, and figure I can always layer up if I have to.
-Evo or Alterra, Leaning towards the Evo on this one. They look like they have a lot more support. I don't do a ton of shore dives, but when I do, the entries are NEVER nice sandy beach entries.
-What hood comes in the package?
-Softsocks. I've never used a drysuit with softboots before, I assume these go inside the suit?

Any suggestions or corrections would be appreciated.

Jim

Jim,
Your going to love this drysuit!
Buy:
- the MK2 now as summer is approaching, then in November if you're still diving consider the MK3.
-Evo3
-Glacier socks, they are light and warm, and are not bulky.
-5mm Heat gloves...for now until next winter and then you will have researched the ring system that is best.
-Heat Zip Dry Hood.
-P-valve, either Halcyon balanced streamlined, Salvo balanced, or other...

The gloves and hood and glacier socks are not expensive, and you can dive for 6 months or so before the winter sets in...time to research and consider your options.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing, except I sprang for the MK3 undersuit first, because I got such a good deal on it. Now I think i'll buy the MK2 for warmer weather. Then I'll be covered so to speak, as I get cold in NE atlantic waters.

All the best,
Geoff

Socks...I am not sure where you are getting your suit, but socks come with the package. I recommend the neoprene socks and wear them on the outside of your dry suit. Wear a wool sock inside. I found my feet stayed a lot warmer. It also allowed me to slip the boots on and off much easier.

Boots...EVOs give much more support but they will take longer to get on and off.

Gloves...I would get the 5mm heat glove. Summer is coming and you can decide what to do about drygloves once you have been diving for a while in the suit.

Hood...The Whites heat hood is very comfortable. I just got one and it makes a big difference. Get the hood 1 size smaller than you would normally get. I would try on a couple of different sizes to make sure you get the right one. I normally would dive a medium, and I have a small. I had a guy would would get XXL, and he got a large. You don't want a bubble on top of your head.

I would go with the MK2 and jacket. I have found that zipping off the sleeves on the MK2 jacket and wearing it with the MK2 works pretty well. It all depends how cold your water is. If year round you are colder than 45 degrees, then get the MK3. If it is closer to 50 in the summer and low 40's in the winter, you may be just fine with the MK2, but plan on layering.

Congrats on your new suit.

I'll add my recommendation for the Viking rings on the Fusion. They take virtually no time at all to install.

I loved the Evo boots, but unfortunately they were too big for me. But they have excellent ankle support and a really nice sole for entry over rocks.

I wear the MK3 with a Thinsulate vest under it for 45 degree water. That seems like a good combination. I'm hoping to ditch the vest when the water warms up this summer.

I wear a pair of wicking socks and then the neoprene sockies, and then a furry fleece sock over that, inside the suit. But I'm also using pull-on wetsuit boots for my feet now.

Jim,
Your going to love this drysuit!
Buy:
- the MK2 now as summer is approaching, then in November if you're still diving consider the MK3.
-Evo3
-Glacier socks, they are light and warm, and are not bulky.
-5mm Heat gloves...for now until next winter and then you will have researched the ring system that is best.
-Heat Zip Dry Hood.
-P-valve, either Halcyon balanced streamlined, Salvo balanced, or other...

The gloves and hood and glacier socks are not expensive, and you can dive for 6 months or so before the winter sets in...time to research and consider your options.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing, except I sprang for the MK3 undersuit first, because I got such a good deal on it. Now I think i'll buy the MK2 for warmer weather. Then I'll be covered so to speak, as I get cold in NE atlantic waters.

All the best,
Geoff

Well I'll definetly be diving in the winter, I don't stop. The only issue I have is very limited open water around here, so we have to get a group together and plan ice dives. Most of my diving is low to mid 40's, even in the summer, and since I am taking intro to tech now, and possibly NAUI Tech 1 later this summer, I think I'll get the dry gloves right away, since I'll be spending a lot of time in the water for these training dives. I'll definetly check out the heat dryhood tho.

Has anyone tried the Diving Concepts dry gloves on this suit? I know one shop in the area that keeps those in stock.

Has anyone tried the Diving Concepts dry gloves on this suit? I know one shop in the area that keeps those in stock.

Yes...and I like them a lot. It all depends if you want factory installed drygloves (which you will get the Si-Tech rings) or DIY. There are advantanges to both.

I'll add my recommendation for the Viking rings on the Fusion. They take virtually no time at all to install.

Hey thanks by the way for the help when I was stuck on installing my Viking rings on my Fusion. It really did only take a few min to do. Well after the first time I put the rings on and my Thumb was facing up:lotsalove:, I figured out the the seam on the Neoprene cuff was a perfect marker for where my thumb was supposed to be. After that it only took a few min to get both rings in and set.

I have not seen them in person, but I have heard other people talk about them that really like them. One of the positive things I have heard is that they are a little smaller than the Viking rings. Honestly for me though I do nto think I could do much smaller. It already takes me a little pushing to get my hands through the rings. As long as they are not to small for your hands I am sure that they would work just fine.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom