Question Help me Decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomh1972

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all:

I'm looking to get back into (vacation) diving/photo after a few years off to raise kids. My previous setup was a canon DC compact with wet macro lens and small strobe. This time around, I'm going with housed mirrorless, and have an Oly EM10iii intended for both topside and UW work.

My plan is to go with the ikelite housing, but I'm undecided on initial port and strobe options. Initially I was thinking that I'd go with the 6" dome for use with the kit 14-42, and probably a ds-51 or YS-01. The more that I've thought about it though, it seems unlikely that I'll get enough use out of the 14-42 to go that way initially. Instead, I'm thinking that I may get more "value" (i.e., use) out of a flat port and the oly 60mm macro with the backscatter MF1. Sure, I can add an 8mm and dome later for WA, but it just doesn't seem like I'll get that much use out of the 14-42.

My intention is to purchase in advance of an upcoming trip to Grand Cayman, so multiple ports/lenses/strobes probably arent in the budget right now.

What say you all?

Thanks
Tom

I was going to suggest 14-42mm + AOI UWL-09, but then I looked at housings available for E-M10 III (only Ikelite and Nauticam) and then at Ikelite's port chart and realized that they don't have a port option suitable for this setup. It's a shame, as this would provide you with the highest IQ and best flexibility, but not an option unless you're willing to pay Nauticam's prices.

Regarding 60mm - are you planning to shoot all macro all the time? I'm not familiar with Grand Cayman, but I haven't seen it mentioned alongside places Anilao or Lembeh, which are the places where you can get away with having just a single long macro lens.

Have you considered 12-40mm? It's a popular lens for a midrange flexible option, as it's decently wide and can focus quite close for semi-macro work.

Thank you both for the advice. I had not considered the 12-40 (or 45), but I will certainly look into them. What about the Pano 12-32 behind a flat port? That would at least give me the option to add wet lenses (assuming that it will achieve focus (min dist of about 12 in on land at 32 mm), and maybe give me more options?
@Barmaglot - you are absolutely correct about nauticam's prices -- that's hard for me (as someone who will only use the setup on vaca) to justify.

12-40mm achieves slightly better magnification than 12-45mm (0.3x vs 0.25x) - I don't own either lens, but I'm guessing that 12-45mm's minimum focus distance of 12cm is available only at wide angle, and jumps forward as you zoom in.

12-32mm with Ikelite's flat port is not really a viable option for wet wide lenses, as they're typically made for 24mm or 28mm equivalent FLs on the wide end, while you'd be coming in with 64mm here - Ikelite's port chart says that you need to be zoomed all the way in to avoid vignetting. In theory, Nauticam MWL-1 or Kraken/Weefine WFL09S could be a suitable option, as they target a 60mm equivalent, but Nauticam's port chart does not list it as an option, so I'm guessing 12-32mm does not focus close enough.

You could try 30mm macro with a flat port + WFL09S/KRL09S; this will give you a macro lens with a bare port (although 1:1 will be difficult with this, as you'd need to get very close to a subject) and a 155 degree field of view with the wet lens mounted. No zoom capability apart from that though.

Very helpful. Thank you. Will the WFL09 zoom thru, like the WWL1? That might open up the oly 12-50ez lens using the in-camera electronic zoom (which I understand to exist, but haven't played with yet).

Why not just get a TG6 setup then, they take some pretty wicked pics? The difference in price would probably pay for another vaca 🤔
Is the ikelite that poor, that it is simply not worth purchasing? The difference between the nauti and the ike here in USD is about $1k. Or were you saying that I am being too "thrifty?'

I've already got the EM10 -- not sure that a tg6 (with limited topside potential, and significant limitations UW), is any more cost-effective.

Thanks for the thoughts, though. Just not really looking to do another P&S/compact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom