Help me decide on a wetsuit please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble-head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I've narrowed my wetsuit search down to three suits: The Henderson 5mm Hyperstretch, Harvey's 6.5 mm Flex jump suit, and finally the Bare Velocity 7mm. I routinely dive in water from 53-70+ degrees. I've tried the Bare and Henderson suits on but can not try the Bare on due to availability but have heard nothing but good stuff about it. I'm mostly concerned with ease of getting in the suit, warmth, and durability. I've used my old wetsuit since the mid-80's so I guess a replacement is due.
Thanks!

I have been using a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch for a few years now and I love it. It is relatively easy to put on, and it has worn very well.

I am also looking at getting a new suit. I have been looking at the Bare Velocity 7mm for winter water temps here of 65 to 75 degrees. The dive master on the dive boat that I frequent highly recomends the bare. And I believe the Bare suit is quite a bit cheaper that the Henderson. I have not been able to try a Bare suit because I need a 3x.

I do not know about the Harvey suits.

Good luck.

TOM

Thanks for the info. I think at this point I'm leaning towards the Bare but have until Friday to make my final decision. I like the looks of the Harvey suit also but don't know anyone who uses one. They used to be really good suits.

I got a Bare velocity 7mm and it fit me fine. It kept me warm in 50F water and probably down to the 40s if I got the hooded vest. The hyperstretch will be easier to get on, but for the price of the bare, you could get a bare and a lycra skin and still save hundreds.

I have Henderson 7/5 mm Hyperstretch and LOVE it. It is only suit I wear. If it is too warm I wear just bathing suit. It is comfortable enough that I can use it from 60's - 80's. I used it regularly for 3 years! WELL worth the money I paid for it!

(I am not so sure about a 5mm in 53 degree water though? You might be a better man than me!)

It is NOT hard to put on or get off and it is BEST peice of dive equipment I ever bought!

I have not worn a BARE.

Just saw you are in Gloucester, VA! I live in Tappahannock, VA and member of Chester Dive Club (Dive regularly in Lake Rawlings - Quarry)

Are you member of Yorktown Dive Club?

bubble-head:
I'm mostly concerned with ease of getting in the suit, warmth, and durability. I've used my old wetsuit since the mid-80's so I guess a replacement is due.
Thanks!

Drysuit???

:D

You will never hit 50 or 60 degree water in a wetsuit again.

I have a Henderson 7mm and well its not warm at all . From what i understand the hyperstretch stuff just sucks, i was diving 66 to 74 degree water with it. Below about 72 degrees i started to freeze.

I have Scubapro 3mm everflex and 5mm thermal tec i love it..
You can look for semi dry suit instead of 7mm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom