Help me convince my wife to dive Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that link goes to any dive videos!!

Can I just add X10 for the manta ray night dive. Make that 11 since that is how many mantas visited us. 2 more back at the boat as we prepared to leave. And take her snorkeling at the captn Cook monument. Those 2 activities leave little to be desired.

Show her this (click HD and full screen first):

[vimeo]15689528[/vimeo]

If your wife is no longer into diving, then don't try to convince her. However, if she is then the manta night dive is not to be missed. IMHO, it rates with diving the Cenotes and diving with a whale shark. My one recommendation on the manta night dive is to go with an op with a big boat. It is much easier to pack up at night while on a big boat than a small one.

Thanks for all the replies to date.

To clarify: my wife loves diving. We will be doing a dedicated dive vacation again this July in Grand Cayman, diving the East End. My issue (while we are in Kona in March, where she will be working) is to try to convince her to go diving during the little free time that she has.

We have done the Manta Ray night dive, and it was great (way better than Stingray City in GC).
We also did the Black Hole dive on a previousl trip.

It seems from some of these posts that there are indeed more fish in Kona than we remember. She loves diving with fish. If this is the case, she may be in.

No real comparison between Kona and the Caymans. Have been diving Hawaii for many years, and always loved the abundant creatures, sometimes clouds of them. Having started diving in Southern California kelp, the colorful fish were a delight. The hard coral was new and beautiful too.

Just to say we did it, wife and I did the very long flight to Little Cayman. Ok, the soft coral and sponges were nice and colorful, but where were the critters?

I was underwhelmed by the Caymans. Yes the soft stuff is colorful, but after you have seen a few, they are all the same, kind of like Disneyland. I dove 2-3 times a day for a week in what has been pumped up to be a pinnacle of diving. Only saw a very few unique critters. Mostly rather empty of anything.

Have been in clouds of Tang, Butterfly, and Surgeons in Kona, never came close to anything like that in Little Cayman. After a week there, saw one (1) spotted drum. Not much of anything else, but the colorful coral of course, and a few groupers. Kona is about fish/nudis/turtles/sharks/morays, and big stuff, not colorful coral. I'll take the critters any day, never know what you will see. Once you have seen a few colorful spong, you have seen them all...........

? Bad week of Cayman diving? I've not been on the California coast, but the creatures are plentiful in Little Cayman. I've been in Maui for a week and the diving was great there too, but there were really not more fishes there than in Little Cayman.

I hope you and your wife have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom