Help me choose which package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djminus1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK...I priced out two packages both coming in at around $900. The first package has some nicer equipment and no computer. The second package has a computer, but the BC, Octo and Reg have been downgraded. Which would you choose. This will be my first setup and I will be diving in Michigan, as well as Cabo at the end of June and Hawaii in February.

Package 1 (No Computer) - $878.95
BCD: Aeris Atmos XT Large
Regulator: Oceanic Delta 4
Octopus: Oceanic Slim Line
Gauges: Oceanic Swiv Navcon
Mares Boat Regulator Bag

Package 2 (Computer) - $919.95
BCD: Sea Elite Profile Hybrid Large
Regulator: Oceanic Alpha 8 PX3
Octopus: Ranger Octopus
Instrument: Aeris Atmos AI Console
Mares Boat Regulator Bag

Thanks

I wouldn't go on a diving vacation without a computer, you miss out on too much diving.

Of course, I love my Delta IV............... so I'd rob a girl scout and get both! :rofl3::rofl3:

If I had to choose between the 2 packages, I would get the first package, since it has a better reg. If you're itching to get a brand new set of gear, that sounds like a great deal.

If you are patient and willing to take a more adventurous path, consider buying your regs new (to take advantage of manufacturer warranties)...and everything else used. Join a dive club and get some dive buddies. When they buy new gear (which they inevitably will do), simply offer to buy their used gear. You'll definitely know that the stuff works and you'll have an idea of how well the owner maintained the gear. I would feel comfortable buying a used dive computer, tank, or BCD this way.

One more thing...you may want to consider a BP/W. After joining a dive club, see if anyone has a BP/W setup that you can try out. All you have to do is ask if they like their setup. Divers are inherently gear-hounds. Since you'll be diving in cold water, you might like the benefits of the more optimal weight distribution of a BP/W set. A decent new package (backplate, wing, single tank adapter, harness, tank cambands) can run $400 - $450. Of course, a used BP/W would be much less.

If you ever think you might want to dive nitrox, make sure that you get a computer with that capability. You can buy a solid, used nitrox computer (definitely not top-of-the-line) for $200. One good model that I have experience with is the Suunto Gekko. When I first began diving, I bought a Suunto Favor which is an air-only computer. The only reason I bought a non-nitrox computer was that adding it to the package only increased the price by $100.

Good luck with your purchases. Have fun and dive safe.

If I had to choose between the 2 packages, I would get the first package, since it has a better reg. If you're itching to get a brand new set of gear, that sounds like a great deal.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a good deal too (That price includes everything including shipping). Even after looking at used stuff, this deal is only a little bit more and its ALL new. I am leaning toward the first package as well. I'd rather get a quality reg than rush into a computer purchase. Divers survived under water for years before the digital age. Besides, it will force me to practice with my tables and master the art of dive planning. I am still a noob! :D

Yup. There are a lot of good deals out there. :) I found that it was pretty tough to exercise restraint.

Have you tested out any of this gear? In the end, it all depends on what you like and what works for you. The gear you listed is all solid brand-name stuff, but do you know how it actually fits?

I would consider not buying any stuff until I joined a local dive club...or had some good dive buddies. Ask lots of questions about their gear. Rent or borrow the gear that you think you'll want to buy. It makes no sense to purchase gear that you'll Ebay next month, right?

That being said, get out there and dive! There's really no substitute for getting a lot of practice.

Have fun and dive safe.

I'd go with the first package. Better reg is more important than a computer IMO. You can always buy a computer later on and the gauges are fine to start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom